Request identification and help with markings on WWII aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I doubt this magnified insignia from below the pilot is not much help due to poor image quality but posting just in case it jogs someone's memory. Thanks to all responders.

View attachment 756901

1704907480081.jpeg

1704907358896.jpeg

Thank you mjfur. Quite an insignia. Do you have any idea as to what it depicts?

Respectfully, Bill

Is there any way to track this aircraft by the number 91512. I'm assuming that is the identifying serial number or similar.

i appreciate the insignia explanatio.

Thank you, Bill

IMG_4121.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mjfur. That's a great suggestion and resource. I appreciate your, and others, time and expertise.

This is one I'd love to see a set to convert from the Accurate Miniatures (and its clones) 1/48 kit. The closest thing I've been able to find is the Belchers Bits conversion:

Actually, I should probably just get this set and be happy with it, it would be "close enough", I think. Other than me (and the lovely Mrs), no one sees my models anyway…
I'm thinking I'd love to do one in this scheme (strikes me as ironic how the Japanese used an aircraft postwar, that was of such significance in their defeat during WW-2). I also think the Light Gull Gray and White scheme looks really cool on the Avenger. A TBM-3W conversion would be nice, too. ;)

TBM-3S JMSDF 1.jpeg

My friend found the pilot's scrapbook with a 1950 Saturday Evening Post article on the Avenger sub hunter mission and pilots flying from the USS Mindoro. The pilot we are researching is seated on the far left in the briefing room.

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    964.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread