Searching desparetely a D- Day special C-47 individual details !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

criannick

Airman
Aug 8, 2007
Eastern France
Objet : Searching desparetely a D- Day special C-47 individual details !

Hello WW2 fans

I send quite rarely questions on the forum ; my most interests go to modelling

I'm looking for help to identify the exact decoration of a C- 47 of the 90th TCS of the 438th TCG in June 1944 (based: Greenham Common -GB).
I have been a WW2 Airwar fan for 60 years and a modeller since 1963.

I'm a member of the CMS's (Club maquettiste de Strasbourg - France ) commitee and I represent our modeler club at a WW2 Museum specialized in AFV, near Strasbourg (F)
See :

MM PARK FRANCE

It has more than 300 WW2 AFVs, as well as hundreds of weapons and uniforms. Of course, aviation is not its specialty, but the museum bought from Italy a C-47 made by Douglas in Italy in 1942, which took part in 1942-43 operations in North Africa and Italy.
This aircraft will be displayed on the roof of a building and will be visible from the nearby road.

I and other of my club's colleagues, who are aware airwar, have thought about how to decorate it in a D-Day scheme, as realistically as possible.
At present, the aircraft has been painted OD and N. Grey and will receive the D- Day stripes followed by the stars & bars

The search for an interesting nose art large enough to be visible led to the "WABBIT EXPWESS" (see pictures) which carries the code Q7 of the 90th TCS of the 438th TCG in June 1944.
See 2 pictures down and an aircraft of this type has been restored (in the USA ?) but without any markings other than this nose art (which was quite approximately executed).

What we are missing, at least from our research, are :
> the individual letter of the aircraft (on the rudder)
> its serial number (probably "(4) 2..... ")

Does anyone on the forum have any knowledge of these elements or, when not, can they recommend a special site that could provide us with the solution?

Many thanks in advance !

Friendly yours

Christian Boehm

wabbit Ewpress avec equipage 2.jpg

wabbit C 47 comp.jpg

C-47 wabbit retaurated plane.png

One more shot of the kite ...

438-wabbit-expwess.jpg

the source: USAAF Nose Art Research Project - Wabbit Expwess

and the another kite of the squadron during taking off on the D-day. The invasion strips can be noticed.

media-423256.jpg

the source: media-423256.jpg | American Air Museum

but the image presents the next C-47 of the squadron crashed/abandoned somewhere in France. No the D-day markings . Unfortunately no date is provided and it is quite difficult to state when it was.

Q7_O.jpg

the source: 90th Troop Carrier Squadron | American Air Museum

Objet : Searching desparetely a D- Day special C-47 individual details !

Hello WW2 fans

I send quite rarely questions on the forum ; my most interests go to modelling

I'm looking for help to identify the exact decoration of a C- 47 of the 90th TCS of the 438th TCG in June 1944 (based: Greenham Common -GB).
I have been a WW2 Airwar fan for 60 years and a modeller since 1963.

I'm a member of the CMS's (Club maquettiste de Strasbourg - France ) commitee and I represent our modeler club at a WW2 Museum specialized in AFV, near Strasbourg (F)
See :

MM PARK FRANCE

It has more than 300 WW2 AFVs, as well as hundreds of weapons and uniforms. Of course, aviation is not its specialty, but the museum bought from Italy a C-47 made by Douglas in Italy in 1942, which took part in 1942-43 operations in North Africa and Italy.
This aircraft will be displayed on the roof of a building and will be visible from the nearby road.

I and other of my club's colleagues, who are aware airwar, have thought about how to decorate it in a D-Day scheme, as realistically as possible.
At present, the aircraft has been painted OD and N. Grey and will receive the D- Day stripes followed by the stars & bars

The search for an interesting nose art large enough to be visible led to the "WABBIT EXPWESS" (see pictures) which carries the code Q7 of the 90th TCS of the 438th TCG in June 1944.
See 2 pictures down and an aircraft of this type has been restored (in the USA ?) but without any markings other than this nose art (which was quite approximately executed).

What we are missing, at least from our research, are :
> the individual letter of the aircraft (on the rudder)
> its serial number (probably "(4) 2..... ")

Does anyone on the forum have any knowledge of these elements or, when not, can they recommend a special site that could provide us with the solution?

Many thanks in advance !

Friendly yours

Christian Boehm

View attachment 740003

View attachment 740004

View attachment 740005
Probably a long shot but perhaps the Air Mobility Command history office: History

One more shot of the kite ...

View attachment 740071
the source: USAAF Nose Art Research Project - Wabbit Expwess

and the another kite of the squadron during taking off on the D-day. The invasion strips can be noticed.

View attachment 740073
the source: media-423256.jpg | American Air Museum

but the image presents the next C-47 of the squadron crashed/abandoned somewhere in France. No the D-day markings . Unfortunately no date is provided and it is quite difficult to state when it was.

View attachment 740074
the source: 90th Troop Carrier Squadron | American Air Museum
Thanks Würger !

I knew these pictures

It s almost sure that the crashed C-47 is "Sugar Puss" of 90th TCS ( not "wabbit") which is well known as: Q7 + Q ; sérial : (4) 224190
His , on fin, individual letter is probably "Q" ( as O never put on) , so it seems such on that plane
And there are colour pictures of that one which was our 1st option

But the nose art (here probably switcht off, as the serial ... why ??? ) appeared to be too smal from road view, so ...
By now, we didin't found the answer (except Q7 seen on picture behind cockpit) but we don't despair
If no result, a "random" choice will certainly not find easily a contradictor !
have a good time with air fans !

christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back