Some German Translations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've downloaded the version in English. I guess I could probably give the book to somebody I know...

>>Am 06. 08. 1937 wurde die Sichtattrappe Bomber »A« in Marienehe von Mitarbeiten der Abteilung LC II des Technischen Amtes und der Erprobungsstelle Rechlin besichtigt. Ihr Gesamturteil lautete:
— Die Sicht- und Schußwinkel sind zufriedenstellend.
— Die Raumverhältnisse sind ungenügend
— Die Auslegung der Instrumentierung im zu engen Rumpf sind nicht ausreichend<<

translates to:

On the 6th of the 8th 1937 the mock-up bomber >>A<< was inspected/viewed at Marienehe by colleagues of Department LC II of the Technical Branch and Test-area Rechlin (a major flight test centre). Their verdict was:
- the viewing and shooting arcs are satisfactory
- the internal spaces are insufficient
- the layout of the instruments in the too-narrow fuselage is not satisfactory

and

>>Dr. Ernst Heinkel entgegnete, daß ein so großes, viermotoriges Fernkampfflugzeug keinesfalls sturzkampffähig seine könnte. Udet verglich die He 177 daraufhin mit der Ju 88 und sah grundsätzlich keine konstruktiven Probleme, den schweren Heinkel-Bomber stürzen zu lassen, sovern die Zelle entsprechend verstärkt würde. Das zwangsläufig steigende Fluggewicht sollte über zwei Doppelfahrgestelle, hinter DB 606-Doppelmotoren, aufgefangen werden. Ferner bestand das RLM Anfang 1938 auf der Einhaltung einer Reichweite von 6700 km in einter Flughöhe von 4000 bis 6000 m. Nach den gültigen Vorgaben der »Bomber A-Ausschreibung« sollte die gesamte — nunmehr vierköpfige Besatzung — in einter Vollsichtkanzel untergebracht werde. Das Entwicklungsbüro hatte zu berücksichtigen, daß die mit Doppelsteuerung versehene Maschine gutmütige Flugeigenshaften aufwies, so daß auch »ein Katschmarek die Maschine hätte fliegen können.«

translates to:

Dr Ernst Heinkel replied that such a large, four-engined long-range bomber was in no way suitable for dive-bombing. Udet then compared the He 177 to the Ju 88 and couldn't see any problems with construction that would prevent the heavy Heinkel bomber from diving, as long as the fuselage was strengthened appropriately. The continuously rising weight would be held up by a double set of landing gear behind DB 606 double engines. Furthermore, the RLM insisted a range of 6700km at a height of 4000-6000m in early 1938. According to the still-valid requirement of the >>bomber a-description<< the total - now four-man - crew would be accommodated in a full-view canopy. The design office had to consider that the machine, equipped with twin controls, showed gentle flight characteristics, such that even a comrade (junior pilot) could have flown the machine.

I'll happily buy the book from you, if you want to part with it! I have a 1/48th MPM Heinkel He 177 in the stash, so it would be good to read.

Last edited:
Mainly28s,

I kind of sold the book to somebody...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back