Some owl videos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I hope you don't mind the Ke$ha song in the first video, and the old-timey Weather Channel music in the second. But the first is of "dancing" barn owls. It actually shows a trait of barn owls (and probably others) due to among other things their asymmetrical ear placement. They're better at hearing things from a distance or intermittent noise, which helps them hunt. But if the sound is close or constant, they'll "dance" to try and triangulate the sound. However, this doesn't hurt or annoy the owls, since they're actually all in a relaxed pose in the video.

The second is of a couple of examples of a relative of the barn owl, known as the bay owl. They're of the same family of owls (Tytonidae), but are smaller than most barn owls and have a divided U or V shaped facial disc instead of heart shaped.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPG2v6nLzdg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdBqA6WTYHc

I have what may be an owl question. A few years back, I often found a cricket stuck on the barb of my fence, often still alive. Occasionally another insect stuck on a barb, but the curious item was half of a mouse, fresh killed, stuck on a barb. I concluded it must be an owl placing the food for storage, however nothing left on the fence was ever taken. Is this a thing owls do?

I have what may be an owl question. A few years back, I often found a cricket stuck on the barb of my fence, often still alive. Occasionally another insect stuck on a barb, but the curious item was half of a mouse, fresh killed, stuck on a barb. I concluded it must be an owl placing the food for storage, however nothing left on the fence was ever taken. Is this a thing owls do?

The Loggerhead Shrike is a bird that routinely impales it's prey as you describe. In the case of insects, they may leave it for a few days to allow naturally occurring toxins to dissipate or, in the case of the mouse, to make it easier to eat and to hold it for a couple days to be consumed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back