Spinner on or off during painting?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
So with many 1/72 models I've worked on, if I want the prop movable then you need to attach it when the two fuselage halves go together. Now I find it really annoying trying to paint the plane with that spinner in the way. I've used a paper cutout that sits at back of spinner but its not ideal. I've sprayed nose section of both fuselage halves before gluing so that I don't have to spray near spinner. But that's time consuming and sometimes the glue shows. )Or may need filling/sanding and then the prop is a real pain.
In the above examples I've already painted the prop beforehand.
You might suggest I should not worry about the prop and hand paint it after plane is done. However I just find the spinner looks much better sprayed than hand painted.
So what do you guys do?
Francis

I always paint the spinners and props separately. No matter what way of attaching to the fuselage is. However I don't follow the way the model designer chose. Personally I make the shaft and its mount as a separate section attached to the spinner+prop unit and glued into the fuselage at the final stage of the assembling.

I always paint the spinners and props separately. No matter what way of attaching to the fuselage is. However I don't follow the way the model designer chose. Personally I make the shaft and its mount as a separate section attached to the spinner+prop unit and glued into the fuselage at the final stage of the assembling.
Ok thanks guys. It certainly saves a few headaches by just gluing it on after painting. I wasn't sure if there was an expectation in the scale modelling community of movable props. (eg in competitions) I've always built them free spinning and prefer it that way if it looks good. But good to hear it's not 'mandatory'.

Just had an idea. I'm painting the spinner / prop separate. Then after plane is painted I will coat the prop spigot in some glue or silicone, let it dry.... it will then slide into the hole nice and snug (that's what she said) but still be movable. It will work well when spigot is attached to prop. Maybe also when spigot is on a washer inside fuselage

I suppose there would be a difference to some with 'spinning' vs rotateable. Mine are always just rotateable and with others the last bit to go on. Not had any issues even with 1/72 builds. May have to add some material (tape does well) to the prop shaft to make it a tight but moveing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back