Uniform details

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dakjunkie

Recruit
Jun 10, 2012
This man's uniform has several features. What are the pins of aircraft or birds on the lower lapels indicating? What do the upper lapel pins say? Can any of the ribbons be made out as to what they represent?
What is the pin over the right breast pocket mean. What rank do you think he has? Are the wings over the ribbons for a pilot or something else?
military honeymoon.jpeg

I am definitely not an expert, although I lived through wwii. The high lapel pins say "US." The winged pins on the lapels I think just signified Air Corps. The wings above the ribbons appear to be bombardier wings. If I didn't get it right, someone will straighten it out.

I am definitely not an expert, although I lived through wwii. The high lapel pins say "US." The winged pins on the lapels I think just signified Air Corps. The wings above the ribbons appear to be bombardier wings. If I didn't get it right, someone will straighten it out.
Thank you very much. That is interesting about the wings. The lapel pins I guessed, correctly. Wonder about the pin over the right breast pocket. I thought his shoulder boards showed a leaf and that perhaps he was a major. I have no idea about the ribbons though. Thanks for your help.

The one over the right breast pocket is the Unit awards / Presidential Unit Citation ...

PCU.jpg

I realize I cannot tell from the picture, but what is the difference between the red and the blue Unit Citation?

This man's uniform has several features. What are the pins of aircraft or birds on the lower lapels indicating? What do the upper lapel pins say? Can any of the ribbons be made out as to what they represent?
What is the pin over the right breast pocket mean. What rank do you think he has? Are the wings over the ribbons for a pilot or something else? View attachment 745068

I realize I cannot tell from the picture, but what is the difference between the red and the blue Unit Citation?

The tone of the red and blue colours in the B&W pictures depend on how an image was taken. I mean if there were used filters or not and on the photographic material. Because the red in the ribbons looks dark and the blue light I would say the Unit Citation had the blue background.

The ribbons and the medal names for these seen at least ... IMHO ...

Clipboard01c.jpg

What does the Blue unit citation mean compared to the red??

What does the Blue unit citation mean compared to the red??

According to the net sources the ribbon with the red is the Air Force/U.S. Army Meritorious Unit Commendation award (MUC) while the blue one is the Air Force/U.S. Army Presidential Unit Citation (PUC). Generally , these are also called The Distinguished Unit Citation (D.U.C.)

OK. Here the supplement to the post #7 for the ribbons ... I have found a larger shot so the mid row of the ribbons can be seen better. However my notes here ...

- the Air Medal ... it isn't seen greatly. But in another pic of him I found the medal ribbon as well. Although there was one oak leaf badge added I would say it is the same ribbon but the next two oak leaves were added later.

- the Purple Heart ... actually it is the only one ribbon that fits the layout of strips. Certainly I may be wrong and there could be the another ribbon fitted.

- the American Defense Service Medal ... also it is the only one that can be judging but the colour and traces of the narrow vertical strips at its tip.

Clipboard01d.jpg

I hope I helped a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back