W-I: no Hs 129?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A 2-engined attacker with might have the following fixed armament, in an airframe somewhat bigger than the Hs 129 ( I'm using the front elevation of the Hs 129 just to illustrate the point)
Four fixed LMGs in the lower nose, while at the fuselage sides it is either 2x one 20mm + one LMG, or 2x 30mm cannons. Totals being 2x 20 mm + 6 LMG, or 2x 30mm + 4 LMG. Belly of the aircraft is left free for bombs or an even bigger 'can opener'. German 9 cylinder engines (not depicted).

not129.jpg

Compare the HS 129 with the Potez 630 and Breguet 693. These were also switched to the GR 14M. The three aircraft have similar maximum weights. The HS 129 has a smaller wing and armored cockpit. The FW 187, Whirlwind and Fokker G.1 were also similar in size and power. All were attempting to fit a gallon into a three quart jar.

Germany was stuck no matter what they did. The HS 123 could do ground attack if supported by fighter cover. The alternate may have been using older medium bombers, i.e. the Dornier 17, in similar roles. Strip out all but the pilot and rear gunner, stuff guns in a solid nose, add armor and hope for the best.

All forces in the early war struggled to build sufficiently powerful engines for multipurpose single engine aircraft . Thus, the twin engine attack/destroyer concept arrived in various forms with all nations out of necessity. The added safety of the twin engine concept was a fortunate side effect, not a designed aim.

The Hs 129 just seems to small and underpowered. Perhaps an adaption of the Focke-Wulf Fw 187 Falke would have worked:
1 Heavy windshield and cockpit canopy glass armour.
2 Heavy cockpit armour.
3 No fuel in wings as range not needed, all in self sealing fuel tanks with partial "all or nothing" armour
4 50mm AT gun in a ventral gun pack or integrated under the floor with armour for ammunition likely integrated with fuel tank armour.
5 Even the Me 110 seems interesting tank destroyer. Probably not produced due to its need as a night fighter.

4. With the power of hindsight, I don't think any "anti-tank" cannon above 30 mm of WWII is an effective weapon in its primary role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back