Westland Lysander - used to retrieve downed airmen in the ETO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Navalwarrior

Staff Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Recently saw on the History Channel that about 650 allied airmen were picked up in enemy held territory, with the Westland Lysander a major player. They did mention that the Lockheed Hudson also was used. Other personnel were also extracted via aircraft.

RAF Special Duties Lysanders were used for 2-way traffic with Resistance groups, dropping off agents and, on occasion, collecting downed aircrew.

The UK-based aircraft operated from Newmarket then Tempsford, although they were usually staged from more forward airfields: Tangmere was frequently used.

Hugh Verity's book "We Landed by Moonlight" gives an outstanding pilot's perspective on these operations.

RAF Special Duties Lysanders were used for 2-way traffic with Resistance groups, dropping off agents and, on occasion, collecting downed aircrew.

The UK-based aircraft operated from Newmarket then Tempsford, although they were usually staged from more forward airfields: Tangmere was frequently used.

Hugh Verity's book "We Landed by Moonlight" gives an outstanding pilot's perspective on these operations.
Resp:
Thanks! I'll look for the book. Also, the movie "Allied" depicted Lysanders in this role.

Reap:
In the Auguest 2019 'Air Classics' there is an article about USAAF ace CAPT Walter Mahurin who was shot down over Europe, but was rescued by an RAF Lysander. He was flying P-47D-5-RE 42-8487 "Spirit of Atlantic City, NJ' code UN M, when he was shot down on 23 March 1944. He was hidden by the French Underground until a second Westland Lysander could be sent in.

with the Westland Lysander a major player.

Here's what they looked like. Shuttleworth Collection's Lysander. Note the fuel tank and boarding ladder.

48320237496_e43c7571a7_b.jpg
Lysander ground-1

Two now flying in the UK, with another two static in the RAF Museum, Hendon, and the IWM Duxford, the latter in the later 'SOE' camouflage scheme, painted as Hugh Verity's aircraft, with the former, currently in the 'standard'camouflage scheme, being the only surviving 'real' Special Duties example.
There are also two, I believe flying, in Canada, and, from memory at least another two in museums
I'm still in a field in Cambridgeshire, otherwise I'd post pics of three of the UK examples - I'll try to remember when I get home on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back