WW1 Aircraft Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the photo. I would have to agree. It does look like two different aircraft in the different photos. But I too could be mistaken.However,not just the style of the charecter's is different. The struts too are not the same. An unlikely coincidence two 60 Squadron aircraft marked A3 both falling in to German hands. Any thoughts about the serial of the aircraft in the photo I posted?

Regards,

Clint

A photo of a colourfully marked Naval Albatros D.III (OAW). Has anyone anythingfurther on the identity of the unit and pilot?

Regards,

Clint

Attachments

• DIIIMFJ.jpg
    DIIIMFJ.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMHO that's not the D.II but D.III of the OAW factory. The Johannisthal built Albatros D.II and the D.III had the vertical trailing edged of the rudder. The one is more rounded what indicates the OAW factory and the D.III kite for which the kind of the rudder just was introduced there. Then the rudder was also used for the D.V/Va.

IMHO that's not the D.II but D.III of the OAW factory. The Johannisthal built Albatros D.II and the D.III had the vertical trailing edged of the rudder. The one is more rounded what indicates the OAW factory and the D.III kite for which the kind of the rudder just was introduced there. Then the rudder was also used for the D.V/Va.
Absolutely. A typo on my part.

I get the impression you haven't really read what I wrote, Mike. I'll say it again. The guys who fly these aircraft today read what was written about these aircraft from first hand sources before they flew them. Did you honestly think they wouldn't have done so? I know for a fact that TVAL representatives scoured the archive at Hendon for source information and other places when researching these aircraft, so they would have had access to exactly the same information as you have, and then some, so please don't be too keen to belittle their efforts. You are just displaying arrogance by saying they are wrong.
Hi
I am not sure how to answer this. Where have I actually "belittled their efforts"? I just questioned the use of the Camel being "short ranged" (endurance) which it was not in comparison with many other scouts of both sides. Sorry if you think that questioning a statement, that I felt was not strictly correct, makes me "arrogant". Please could you indicate my comments that have caused the offense to you and the modern pilots that I have respect for, as I have for the pilots of WW1 who left us the test reports and comments on the performance on aircraft they were flying both groups giving useful data to understand the past.
Maybe it would be better for me not to comment on these matters or supply data that I have as I have obviously upset you which was not my intent.

Mike

A nice shot of Bristol Fighter B1167

View attachment 755305

Regards,

Clint

Thanks for sharing that pic. B1167 served on 11 Sqn when a relative of mine was a Sgt Pilot with the Sqn. Alas, it's not an airframe that he flew but it's still great to see an image of another 11 Sqn machine...alas, they're all too rare.

Maybe it would be better for me not to comment on these matters or supply data that I have as I have obviously upset you which was not my intent.

Mike, you haven't upset me. I disagree with you is all and yes, by "merely" stating that these guys are incorrect in their assessment of the aircraft when they have read the information available and given their flying experience, your accusation of them being incorrect is arrogant presumption on your part.

It's okay, though, Mike. We can disagree with each other and not get upset by it. I am an adult, which, I am hoping you are too. We don't need to resort to hostility and strength of feeling, the converse of which in this case is always difficult to convey in the written form if the words used are direct.

Hello

Nieuport 21 N.2664 probably. I would like to know the pilot and unit.

N212664.jpg

Regards,

Clint

Hello,

A photo of the colourful Spad S.XIII of Ltn John Jeffers of the 94th Aero Squadron from ebay

View attachment 774218

View attachment 774219

A better view from SPAD XIII S. * WWI - SKINS *

Regards,

Clint
I love the two different roundels in this "camouflage" pattern. Is this the earliest use of the "red dot star" national insignia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back