WWII goggles that also worked as sunglasses?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

I have found this picture of a SBD Dauntless gunner in the Wikipedia article about the aircraft. His goggles are reddish in appearance. I was wondering if they were like this in order to also work like sunglasses. If that was indeed the case, how common was this feature during the war?

Attachments

• Gunner_of_SBD_with_Browning_machine_guns_1943.jpg
    Gunner_of_SBD_with_Browning_machine_guns_1943.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 257
Hello,

I have found this picture of a SBD Dauntless gunner in the Wikipedia article about the aircraft. His goggles are reddish in appearance. I was wondering if they were like this in order to also work like sunglasses. If that was indeed the case, how common was this feature during the war?
Colored goggles were were often used as sunglasses.

My dad's flight helmet had green lenses but he (and from what I remember everyone in the group) always wore aviator sunglasses. He was upset that someone swiped his aviators cos he had to either borrow glasses or use his goggles for missions.

My dad's flight helmet had green lenses but he (and from what I remember everyone in the group) always wore aviator sunglasses. He was upset that someone swiped his aviators cos he had to either borrow glasses or use his goggles for missions.

Very interesting information bobbysocks.
I would say that the sunglasses adjusted well to the helment, earphones and oxygen mask.
Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back