YC-97 Pie Face

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Steijger

Airman
Apr 3, 2016
Who knows the serial number of the YC-97 that Boeing originally installed the Big Bertha 240-inch oblique camera in? It was used in several trials in the Berlin Air Corridors, but apparently, it was underpowered. Instead, 49-2592 was used for the purpose. --Cees Steijger

The YC-97 probably A-model 45-59593.

The source: Clandestine missions and the 'Berlin for Lunch Bunch'

YC-97 45-59593_.jpg

YC-97 45-59593.jpg

the pic source: the net.

The YC-97 probably A-model 45-59593.

The source: Clandestine missions and the 'Berlin for Lunch Bunch'

View attachment 734288

View attachment 734289
the pic source: the net.

That is 'probably' the one, it was used by Boeing as a test machine. But I'd like to delete that 'probably' and need more evidence than
Thanks for this! That 'probably' bothers me... in the article on the Key website, it is not further explained, simply 'probably', that may be the assumption of the author or the result of research. I don't know. It seems logical since this YC-97 was a Boeing testbed, but that is not enough 'evidence' that this is the YC-97 Pie Face that did trials in the Berlin Corridors....

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. But it seems that there is no additional info on that.

Way back when I was a Sea Explorer (Sea Scouts), we were sponsored by Naval Air Station New York (AKA Floyd Bennet Field). They had a few KC-97s. Very impressive watching them taxi by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back