Calgary's Mosquito For Sale? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Editorial from today's local paper: Sell the Mosquito

The Mosquito and Hurricane have been sitting in storage here in pieces for years and the debate has been passionate recently about what to do with these rare birds. In my view, a city shouldn't be in the aircraft restoration business especially when using tax money to do so but, at the same time, it would be a shame to see these sold off to a private investor never to be seen again by the local population. The compromise being contemplated here sounds like a win-win.

Why don't they try and cut a deal with some folks in Edmonton as it would make a perfect fit. 418sqn was a very high scoring intruder Sqn and was sponsered or adopted by Edmonton . Hence of City of Edmonton Sqn

Why don't they try and cut a deal with some folks in Edmonton as it would make a perfect fit. 418sqn was a very high scoring intruder Sqn and was sponsered or adopted by Edmonton . Hence of City of Edmonton Sqn

We have one actually, at the Alberta Aviation Museum. It was converted into a FB, do not recall the mark though painted as "Hairless Joe".

News today that a deal was settled with the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta and that the Mossie was moved there over the weekend to begin restoration to, I assume, static display condition. I may look at volunteering to be part of the restoration team which meets every Tuesday night at the museum. It's an 80km drive south of where I live. Here are a couple of links for those interested.

The Calgary Mosquito Society
Moving historic aircraft to museum a 'labour of love'

I remember reading in a magazine some time ago that there was a Mossie under restoration to flying condition in Canada, does anyone know more?

Excellent news! Don't know of a restoration to flying condition in Canada, but there is in New Zealand, with the aircraft being destined for Virginia Beach, USA.

This one's too far gone to completely restore to flying condition I think, despite a potential buyer saying he would do it. Nevertheless, the static display will include both Merlins and props restored to operating condition as they are doing with the Lanc.

There's a formal introduction ceremony at the museum this Saturday and I'll head down with a buddy. The Mossie will be on display and they'll fire up the Lanc so pictures will be part of the plan and I'll post a bunch maybe Sunday.

So I'll blaze right into them then. This Mosquito s/n RS700 was built in 1946 as a model B.35 and underwent a conversion to a high altitude PR.35 in 1952. In 1954, it, along with 9 other B.35's was sold to Spartan Air Services Ltd in Ottawa for $1500 each (just think!) where they were used up to the early 1960's for aerial surveys and mapping in Canada. Since then, RS700 has languished in various storage facilities and was the subject of a few failed attempts to undertake restoration - until now. One of the other 9 Mossies ended up in Victoria BC. and is the subject of the rebuild that Neil referred to above.

On Sunday, August 19, 2012, the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta held a public display and introduction to the restoration project that they will be undertaking and they unveiled a number of bits and pieces of this aircraft and pictures of these follow below and in the next series of posts. I will, where I can, provide some notes to the photos. I will apologize now for the poor quality of some of these pictures as I used my wife's pocket camera and it seems I shook the odd picture

The two Merlins. One of these had an initial inspection that revealed no internal corrosion. Good news in that the mandate is to enable the aircraft to be restored to static display but with the engines functional in the airframe.

IMG_0682.JPG

The main wing is another matter. The upper surfaces have had the fabric removed and delamination of the plywood is evident at a number of locations. Talking to some of the guys though revealed that the initial condition of the Mossie's wing in Victoria was actually worse. It is hoped that the wing will be able to sustain the stress of active engines so a fairly extensive ultrasonic inspection for internal delaminations will be done. Yes, that's duct tape holding some of the bits together!

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

Here's a detail near the starboard engine mount.

IMG_0684.JPG

Most of the leading edge ribs were not present on the wing but the few that were look to be in poor shape. More duct tape.

IMG_0686.JPG

Another shot of the upper wing surface looking toward the port side

IMG_0687.JPG

More to come so stay tuned.

Great stuff Andy. It may look to be in poor condition, but if you see the work done on Tony Agar's NFII at the Yorkshire Air Museum, and see what he started with, it's comforting to know that a good restoration is possible.
Incidentally, I love the background in the first pic - some people have an aeroplane picture hanging on their wall, others may have a propellor; this place has a complete wing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back