Classic Fighters Easter Weekend (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pics Grant. The Nord/'108 makes a very 'usable' warbird, handy for touring, and (relatively) inexpensive. Do you happen to know which unit that one was with?

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated. Terry, not sure which unit the Bf 108 flew with, but it has probably flown more hours here in NZ than it did in the war. Its owner Colin Montgomery has used it as his personal transport for years, his family was based at the other end of the country from himself and at one stage he was making the trip back and forth every couple of weeks in the Messerschmitt.

The Anson is a real beauty; the standard of restoration is just extraordinary and is to be seen to be believed. Bill sourced as many original fittings as possible, down to bakelite switches, Aldis Lamps and other fittings for the interior. It wears the markings of the aircraft of New Zealander Pilot Officer Laurie Edwards of 206 Sqn Coastal Command, who was shot down two days after war was declared, by an He 115, which proceded to pick up survivors, including Edwards, who became the first RAF Officer POW of the war. What was remarkable was that Edwards attacked the He 115 armed only with the Anson's forward firing .303 and a .300 in the top turret!

Thanks for the info Grant. If I was ever in a position to afford to own and run a warbird, I think the '108 would be ideal. That said, I'd still need help to get in and out of it, with this darned arthritis!

Hi Guys, the last lot of Classic Fighters images.

Its always impressive watching airliners do airshow routines and one of the most impressive is the RNZAF's 757, which regularly struts its stuff at venues around the world, including RIAT and Waddington in the UK.

757_zpsfd876d02.jpg

With the RNZAF's NH-90 helicopter now in service, the good ole UH-1 is nearing the end of its life with the air force, but it is still entertaining to watch and will be missed at airshows (and operationally).

UH-1ii_zps9ce44fbc.jpg

UH-1i_zps2e9010b7.jpg

The RNZAF brought along an NH-90 for their display, its an impressive machine.

NH-90_zpse87a0483.jpg

A battle rages in the sky above with Nanchangs sensible enough to remain on the ground since they regularly play the bad guys and the NZ Warbirds DC-3 in the foreground. This aircraft spent the entire airshow doing joy flights, which meant it didn't display, but was coming and going throughout the entire day.

DC-3action_zps614165e0.jpg

DC-3i_zpsb29b17da.jpg

A peculiar little machine that caught my eye in the Marlborough Aero Club hangar; it's a Penguin and was used for ground handling training, being powered and taxiable, with full movement of the controls available to the pilot. Just don't try and get airborne - they fly like a brick.

Penguin_zps6a1dc19b.jpg

View from the Marlborough Aero Club hangar with former RNZAF A-4K in the foreground.

A-4hangar_zpsdbc09464.jpg

These guys kept the noise levels at a peak during a lull in the flying display. This guy overhauled this Britsol Hercules from a Bristol Freighter here at Omaka and frequently runs it. Makes a heck of a racket.

RunningHercules_zps0524929c.jpg

The Allison is even noisier. Very cool to see and hear.

RunningAllison_zps284ea90d.jpg

This DHC-2 Beaver has been around on the NZ ag scene for many years, but is now working solely as a family hack and airshow performer.

Beaver_zpsa7181a67.jpg

Another long time stalwart of the NZ civil register is this pretty Fox Moth; one of, if not, the first commercial airliner in New Zealand. It has been modified with a blown canopy.

FoxMoth_zps4a368498.jpg

These big booted Pipers, a Vagabond and Super Cub, are becoming more frequent as their value for being able to get into inaccessible areas is immense. ZK-BOY did a quick display of short take-off and low speed handling whilst bouncing down the flight line.

BigBoots_zps8fe9fab8.jpg

For many years now, this F-27 has been operating out of nearby Woodbourne carrying the mail around the country after hours, so to see it flying in daylight is a rarity. In honour of the fact that light sleeping residents in Blenheim have had to put up with it departing at all hours, the aircraft put on a short display since its going to be retired soon. It is the last operating F-27 in New Zealand; NZ Post's other F-27s are being grounded and one has already been broken up. Its pilot, Tim Sullivan also flies one of the Fokker Dr Is, making him the only rated pilot on the oldest and youngest Fokker aircraft on the New Zealand register.

F-27_zps880f8a39.jpg

The Yaks aerobatic display team awaits its turn in the air.

Yak-52s_zps1de99c6e.jpg

This Australian built D.H.84 Dragon offered joy rides at the end of the day.

Dragon_zpsf5677e72.jpg

Finally, a couple of immaculate Tiger Moth ZK-SSA departing at the end of the day.

ZK-SSAii_zps74cea48e.jpg

ZK-SSAiii_zps09ea1951.jpg

That's all folks. Thanks for the kind comments throughout and I hope you've all enjoyed my photographic coverage of the aircraft of Classic Fighters 2013.

:)

Last edited:
Its pilot, Tim Sullivan also flies one of the Fokker Dr Is, making him the only rated pilot on the oldest and youngest Fokker aircraft on the New Zealand register.

Jerry Chisum(sp?) was in the left seat, and also flies a lot of the WW1 stuff (including a number of Fokkers) I'm not too sure about the dr1 though. I do know he didn't fly one at the show.

Hi Evan, the Fox Moth is one of two airworthy in NZ at the moment, with a couple in the UK. I don't know why they put the new canopy on, it probably improves visibility though. Aaron, yeah, I heard Jerry Chisum's name being mentioned over the weekend but I'm not sure what he was flying.

I don't think he was flying any of the TVAL stuff for the show (didn't see him at any of their briefings), but he was in the RH seat of the F27 for the display, and I believe he flew the DH60 at one stage.

I think the D.H.60's his anyway, isn't it? I guess you guys must be pleased with the result; all the local papers are trumpeting the success of the show and John was saying he got paid on time this time!

I think the D.H.60's his anyway, isn't it? I guess you guys must be pleased with the result; all the local papers are trumpeting the success of the show and John was saying he got paid on time this time!

Yeah, its the aircraft that his wifes grandfather bought down from England I think, so there's a big family connection.

It all went very well. Plenty of pre-sales for the tickets, which helps pay the bills early! But, I was surprised with the amount of press we got this year, and all of it good. Even the coverage of our little 'incident' was well-balanced.

Good stuff and great to hear, Aaron. Looking forward to the next one. I might even talk to you about being of some use on the day closer to the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back