Classic Fighters Easter Weekend (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys,

Some images from the Classic Fighters airshow over Easter weekend. Held over three days; Friday evening twilight display and a full show on Saturday and Sunday, the event was a success for the organisers with over 30,000 attending over the three days. I went on Saturday only, so missed the Natter mock-up, which was on display on Sunday only and looked quite convincing from pictures I've seen. I work with the guy who organises the pyrotechnics and his pictures of it being blown up are quite spectacular!

Whilst there I met forum member gumbyk, who is part of the airshow committee, so missed the whole show while he had to work!

To begin with, I saw this L-29 at the main airport on the way into town the night before the show. Apparently the guys were offering joyrides.

L-29_zps4ef0e9ee.jpg

The main entrance!

UXB_zpse783c182.jpg

A few aircraft parked at the airfield on the morning of the show:

This D.H.60 is one of the oldest continually registered aircraft in New Zealand

ZK-ADT_zps25606c43.jpg

Unfortunately the Courier didn't display, would have liked to have seen it do so. (Must add this to the Vietnam thread going at the moment)

ZK-TCL_zps17800162.jpg

Tigers, Aussie built Tiger Moth "Beyond Economic Repair"

ZK-BER_zps368d485b.jpg

ZK-SSAi_zps499881de.jpg

"Can ya tell what it is yet?" Yeoman Cropmaster, rare beast; the only flying example in the world.

ZK-CPW_zps08974a19.jpg

Chippies_zps375e33f2.jpg

The Germans are always so welcoming...

EintrittVerboten_zps7af165e3.jpg

The Tiger tank goes and the gun fires, but is largely built of fibreglass and wood, but looks convincing.

Tiger_zps614b2d37.jpg

Next, the Great War.

:)

Last edited:
Because of Peter Jackson's interest in World War One aircraft, New Zealand is currently home to the largest collection of flying Great War aircraft, albeit accurate reproductions, in the world. Classic Fighters has always been renown for its Dr Is and this year they wheeled out the "Magnificent Seven" of Jasta I (again! Never thought I'd ever say that regarding a gaggle of Dr Is). Jackson's First World War repro concern, The Vintage Aviator also brought some toys again this year.

Triplanes:

Triplanei_zpsabd9dd44.jpg

Triplaneii_zps94250aa5.jpg

Triplaneiii_zps2265ea8d.jpg

Triplaneiiii_zps6e88045f.jpg

Triplaneiiiii_zpsc4fa2f13.jpg

Former Blue Max D VII

DVII_zps77a0c93a.jpg

The three Great Sopwith Scouts were represented at this year's show for the first time; Camel, Pup and Tripe (with an interloper D.H.5 in the background).

Sopwiths_zps2895ae19.jpg

Cameli_zps23247210.jpg

PupTripe_zpscc0ad10a.jpg

This was the first year that a Pup made an appearance here; lovely to see. This is the first of two built by the Vintage Aviator and although there was a second Pup at the show - actually a Pfeifer-Sopwith Scout - it didn't fly.

Pup_zpsa4ca326e.jpg

Black Triplane of Naval Eight; Royal Naval Air Service.

Tripe_zps87ab7b4d.jpg

Camel in the markings of New Zealander Capt Clive Collett, the first Camel ace.

Camelii_zpsee820e4f.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
Hi Chris, no, I didn't think to get a photo of Aaron and me, sorry. He was on his lunch break and we talked about the show - as you do. Nice guy. The Triplanes are pretty cool; the Great War sets are always worth watching since there's always a bit of re-anacting going on with pyros and a reproduction Great War tank as well.

MkIV_zpsb268d2db.jpg

Last edited:
Tigers, Aussie built Tiger Moth "Beyond Economic Repair"

Yeah, I wondered about the wisdom of buying into an aircraft with that registration! But, to date its been fairly reliable.

Did you and gumbyk get a piccie of youse?

Unfortunately, not. Only got a brief chance to catch up, during my lunch break. Its amazing how little of the show I got to see this year. But I guess the pay-off is that I get to hang around these machines regularly.

More Great War aircraft.

Nieuport repro ZK-NII in its Lafayette Escadrille markings didn't fly, which is a shame.

N11_zpsf7510c4e.jpg

The unusual Airco D.H.5 repro looks ungainly on the ground since its rearward stagger is even more pronounced.

DH5_zps0697aa8c.jpg

The Bristol Fighter is a favourite of mine and looked radiant in the afternoon sun. By comparison to its WW1 siblings, it's quite a big machine.

BristolFighteri_zps4d4d1010.jpg

BristolFighterii_zps97de322c.jpg

BristolFighteriii_zps2fa0ccb0.jpg

BristolFighteriiii_zpsf23b913e.jpg

Now, some Warbirds.

The theme of the show was The Yanks are Coming, which didn't really live up to expectations in my opinion, all things considered, such as the fact that only one aircraft debuting at the show this year was American and the big star was German (which also featured prominently on the airshow literature with the US flag in the background). Having been to US themed airshows in the past, the reality didn't live up to the vast possibilities that such a thing offers. Nevertheless, the show was still enjoyable regardless. Here are some US Warbirds to whet the appetite:

This beautiful Staggerwing was the very first of its type to be registered in Australia (note the rego) and was restored here in New Zealand. It flew back to Australia after the show.

Staggerwing_zps6bd8a31e.jpg

T-6s or Haavaaards as they are called here.

Harvardi_zps74ea3b67.jpg

Harvardii_zps7c6d4482.jpg

Harvardiii_zpsa642da4f.jpg

NZ's two airworthy P-40s attended.

Sharksteeth_zps9eeaa83f.jpg

This RAAF example wore shark's teeth and early type US roundels under its wings (see above picture) especially for the event.

P-40i_zpsb50a65c6.jpg

P-40ii_zpsaa6545b0.jpg

Ex RNZAF P-40E actually wears the colours of P-11151, Chinese fighter pilot Xu Hua Jiang's (not an AVG aircraft as most people think, despite the Flying Tiger logo) P-40E, of which China received 27 in 1943.

P-40iii_zps4613d089.jpg

P-40P-51_zps9d762333.jpg

This P-51D has been a part of the NZ warbird scene for many many years now and was one of the founding aircraft of New Zealand Warbirds. A guy I knew said that he has gotten tired of seeing the Mustang at airshows, since its been around for so long. I said to him that I simply don't agree. I'll never get tired of looking at it.

P-51i_zps8950cc8e.jpg

ZK-TAF wore special nose art for the occasion.

P-51ii_zps3f82a4e9.jpg

P-51iii_zps9a3d678b.jpg

Lastly for today, another surviving ex RNZAF bird, the Big Bent wing B*st*rd.

FG-1Di_zps1c4ec967.jpg

FG-1Dii_zps668a64dd.jpg

FG-1Diii_zpsd81e5ce5.jpg

FG-1Diiii_zps240c1a9a.jpg

FG-1Diiiii_zps93768b08.jpg

Next, other countries' warbirds.

Great pics Grant. The guy who said he's tired of seeing the Mustang must be a pooftah - it's as bad as saying your'e tired of beer!
They did a good job on that Tiger and WW1 tank.

Hi Falke, well, this is little ole En Zed! The airshow is held at Omaka, which is in the north of the South Island, the largest population centre is 1 and a 1/2 hours drive away and is about 46,000. Airshows here are lucky to get 15 - 20,000 on one day. I remember going to shows in the UK and a typical Flying Legends at Duxford managed 50 - 100,000! Which is a staggering amount! When I lived in the UK, airshows were the second biggest spectator sport, second only to football.

Got more pics coming.

Some German Metal (Arrg! Rammstein!)

Although bassembled in France as a Nord 1002, this Bf 108 was originally constructed in Augsburg and is a genuine warbird, having served with the Luftwaffe in WW2 and was shot down at one stage.

Bf108_zpsa5c476a6.jpg

Undoubted Star of the show was this FW 190 (see my close up pics of it elsewhere here), which flew only once each day in the company of its WW2 nemesis,two Spitfire Mk.IXs. Frank Parker, the Southern Hemisphere's only Fw 190 rated pilot had a wee trouble getting it on to the ground, bouncing a couple of times, which caused everyone to hold their breaths as he struggled to get the machine under control, Luckily he did. Both Claus Collings, the founder of the Flug Werk company that built the aircraft and Murray Miers, its owner were at the show; Collings recounting how he built it, starting with a non flying mock-up to settle the details, then built his first flying aircraft; this one, in fact. Interesting to hear.

ButcherBirdi_zpseeae0c61.jpg

ButcherBirdii_zps82f311aa.jpg

ButcherBirdiii_zpsf660aa62.jpg

ButcherBirdiiii_zpsfcfd50f7.jpg

ButcherBirdiiiii_zps65e18767.jpg

One of two Kubelwagens blatting round the airfield in the hands of the reanactors.

Kubelwagen_zps68f81eaa.jpg

Some Brits. Bill and Robyn Reid's lovely Anson I made its Omaka debut this weekend, too and made a change from the fast stuff, although its engine noise rivalled the single-seaters in its din.

AnsonIi_zpsd77e2bcd.jpg

AnsonIii_zpsd80e3d30.jpg

AnsonIiii_zpsc0526478.jpg

Spitfire IXs; a classic shape.

Spitfirei_zps01841f50.jpg

Spitfireii_zpsdafb3d40.jpg

Spitfireiii_zps5125fbc8.jpg

Spitfireiiii_zpsadbbc7ff.jpg

Spitfireiiiii_zpse1d5c9ec.jpg

Two Yak-3s carried out a tail chase and were one of the best flying displays of the day.

Yak-3i_zps4ea3ba02.jpg

Yak-3ii_zps355934cf.jpg

Yak-3iii_zpsf1b31e0e.jpg

Yak-3iiii_zps20f089b0.jpg

Yak-3iiiii_zpsecd36466.jpg

Yak-3iiiiii_zps8350b6f7.jpg

Next, some other sights and sounds around the show of interest.

:)

Although bassembled in France as a Nord 1002, this Bf 108 was originally constructed in Augsburg and is a genuine warbird, having served with the Luftwaffe in WW2 and was shot down at one stage.

I was talking to the owner after the show, and he told me that they had to recover one of the control surfaces, and when they removed the fabric, the original fabric was underneath it, bulletholes and all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back