Thread: Frontiers of Flight Museum Dallas, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Frontiers of Flight Museum Dallas, TX

Just got back. It's almost brand new and very nice. Inside they had quite a few things- Crusader, Corsair II, p-80, Sopwith Camel, some stunt planes I don't know much about, f-16, the first Learjet, apollo 7 pod, Texan, tiger moth, and a few others. It's not a huge building but has a bunch of well detailed displays with great looking models. Ooo, they also had a Ryan Staggerwing, really pretty. They also had an experimental Lear product of which only three were made, had a pusher prop along with two jet engines, the guide didn't tell us the name of it. Our guide was I believe from the 14th Air Force and flew a Mustang, which he told us quite often was the best fighter of the war. He was very knowledgeable, but didn't let me get a word in edgewise and very opinionated. I say you get the right to be opinionated and grumpy once you've served the country like that. I only have one question- the sabre in this picture I took doesn't look like a sabre at all. I've driven by the museum before and I didn't recognize it. I'll post the serial number. If anyone has any info please post, it's really bugging me that I couldn't i.d. an f-86 correctly.

If you're ever in the Dallas area, I'd recommend it. It's right next to Love Field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1.jpg   -img_2.jpg  

-img_3.jpg   -img_4.jpg  

"I had ten rockets on board, and as I wasn't particularly fond of head-on attacks, I salvoed the whole lot at him. The rockets didn't hit him but but they must have scared the bejesus out of him, for he did a steep turn to starboard... I let him have the full blast, all eight fifty-calibers. I had never seen an aircraft completely disintegrate in the air the way this Me-110 did..."
    Bill Dunn, 406th Fighter Group

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a pic of u Aggie???

It is infact an F-86, but not the one ur used to seeing..... The L version is basically a F-86D converted to incorporate Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) equipment...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think some pilots called this Sabre version "the dog" cause it sort of looks like one.

How come only a few pictures? You need to post more.
    "Pilot to copilot..... what are those mountain goats doing up here in the clouds?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shots, Aggie! I always thought that F-86 version didn't quite look right.

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, yes that is me. My dad got a kick out of that last picture... it's me sticking my head up the tail of a shooting star. And yeah that sabre is a dog. It doesnt have any guns either, so I dunno...
    "I had ten rockets on board, and as I wasn't particularly fond of head-on attacks, I salvoed the whole lot at him. The rockets didn't hit him but but they must have scared the bejesus out of him, for he did a steep turn to starboard... I let him have the full blast, all eight fifty-calibers. I had never seen an aircraft completely disintegrate in the air the way this Me-110 did..."

Matt

World Travelling Doctor? Gnomey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shots! I agree that F-86 does look like a dog.

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

"To him the People of the World Largely owe the Freedom and Liberties they Enjoy Today"
    Enscription on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-40) statue in London

My Photo Collections on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Aggie, Im cropping that pic and adding it to the album....

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I emailed the curator about the f-86l and the learjet I was wondering about and got some good info on it. I'll upload the docs...

Notice the three engines on the Lear Fan. The V-tail gives it a very distinctive look as well. My tour guide said that they never got licensed because multi-engined planes are required to be able to run on one engine and they had too much trouble changing from one engine to the other or something like that. Lear died before it could be fixed and his wife didn't have the funds to continue the project. Three were made, I think just one or two survive today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -learfan.jpg   -f86l.jpg  

Last edited by Aggie08; 05-23-2006 at 01:06 AM.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    The pic has been added, and excellent info right there....

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, Aggie!

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the Lear is a looker, unlike the sabre...

Matt