Hamilton Airshow 2013

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
I'll kick off this thread first of all by inviting anyone who attended this year's Hamilton Airshow to chime in and post any pics and stories they wish to share about this event. This year's star attraction was the Mosquito and it's potential for flying formation with a number of other rare birds, including our Lancaster.

My show weekend started early Friday when I attended the "Mosquito Memories" event in the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum hangar attended by some thirty veterans who flew, maintained, or built the Mossie in the war years. Bob O'Connor, observer/navigator with 627 Squadron and who I talk about in my GB 18 Mosquito thread, flew in from Calgary for the event and is the gentleman with the white ball cap.

IMG_5332 Posted.jpg

IMG_5330 Posted.jpg

The speaker's podium was placed right at the nose of the Mossie, a fitting backdrop for the celebration.

IMG_5309 Posted.jpg

Lurking in the sidelines was the Me262, also scheduled to fly in the show.

IMG_5306 Posted.jpg

Two veterans, Russ Bannock and George Stewart, took the stage and shared stories about their war years.

IMG_5320 Posted.jpg

IMG_5327 Posted.jpg

Of course, opportunities to take a picture of each plane without the throngs milling about and getting their mitts all over them were rare. However, I did manage to snap these two among others that I will share later.

IMG_5333 Posted.jpg

IMG_5276 Posted.jpg

That's my intro for now guys as I'm a bit pressed for time today being Father's Day and all. There are plenty more pictures to come but I'm still away from my home computer and so am just using MS Paint to manipulate these. I'll try to get some more up tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Jeff, yes it was too bad the meet didn't work but looks like we probably walked past each other a few times. You must have arrived much earlier than me although when I arrived at the 190 at around 8:30, there was still a relatively small and respectful circle of people around it that enabled me to get some good overall pictures which I'll post later as they're still in the camera.

Still on Friday, the forum organizers invited everyone to stick around for the rest of the day to watch the various goings on on the tarmac as well as to see the first-ever flyover of the Lanc and Mossie along with two Spitfires and two Hurricanes. I grudgingly chose to stick around...:lol: So off I went, packing up the little gear I had, to the observation deck on the roof of the museum where I staked my territory against the rail that I would not surrender, come hell or full bladder, for the rest of the day. Good thing because it quickly became 5 or 6 people deep. However, despite my good fortune at getting a great vantage point, my inexperience as a photographer (or maybe my aging brain) caused me to forget to reset my camera for the bright outdoor conditions and I ended up shooting all my rooftop pics at 1600 ASA so they all came out on the grainy side. I also failed to clean my filthy lens as I only discovered after I downloaded all these pics. Nevertheless, here are a number of shots taken from the rooftop that hopefully you will find interesting.

IMG_5351 Posted.jpg

IMG_5352 Posted.jpg

Of course, when they rolled out the Mossie, I was too close for my 70-300 zoom. Rather than fumble with the lens exchange in the little time available, I just began shooting

IMG_5379 Posted.jpg

IMG_5387 Posted.jpg

Same with the Lanc (over exposed and can't fix at the moment, sorry):

IMG_5443 Posted.jpg

World War I was represented by a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, an SE5A, a Nieuport 28, and a Fokker DrI.

IMG_5420 Posted.jpg

IMG_5459 Posted.jpg

Then out came the Me 262 and this one fit the 70mm zoom length just fine.

IMG_5481 Posted.jpg

A fixture at most major Canadian airshows are the Snowbirds (or "Snowboards" if you prefer) in their aged CT-114 Tutors.

IMG_5541 Posted.jpg

The much-anticipated Merlin flyover had to wait for the arrival of the other Spitfire and Hurricane from the Military Aviation Museum, seen here arriving 2 hours later than expected along with the Fw190 peeling off for landing. This photo was quite a bit out of range for my 300mm but I posted it to fill in the story. Real sorry about those spots guys.

IMG_5559 Posted.jpg

Finally after another hour or more during which the new arrivals were refueled and the pilots briefed, the formation aircraft began pulling out.

IMG_5578 Posted.jpg

IMG_5608 Posted.jpg

IMG_5611 posted.jpg

IMG_5613 Posted.jpg

And finally, the event we were all waiting for, the formation flypast led by the CWH Lancaster, Mosquito, the Vintage Wings of Canada's Spitfire MkXVI and Hurricane MkIV, and the Military Aviation Museum's Spitfire MkIX and Hurricane MkXII.

IMG_5654 Posted.jpg

IMG_5625 Posted.jpg

That concluded my event filled Friday. The full show was to be the next day, Saturday, and my next set of pics will be from the main show.

Last edited:
Beaut shots Andy.
I had similar exposure problems at Cosford, due to accidentally, and unknowingly, catching the thumb wheel of the Nikon with my hand, and upping the ASA /ISO from 200 to 400 ! Some of the shots were improved by using 'Irfanview', and could be improved more by 'Photoshop'.

Yes, and that's my plan. Just that where I am right now, I don't have access to my Photoshop and I'm not about to load Irfanview on my mum's laptop with just one day left in my stay here. I would have very much preferred to clean up the above pics but there are many more yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back