Lancaster FM159 in Nanton Moves under her own power!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lancasterman

Airman
Feb 8, 2006
canada
FM159 TAXIS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!

Mk X Lancaster FM 159 taxied under her own power last evening (April 22, 2014).
We had her out to test the repairs on the #2 engine. John Phillips and Greg Morrison discussed it and decided that to attempt it. With Brian Taylor as Engineer and Greg in the pilot's seat, we fired up 159, all four engines were eager to shake off the winter cob webs and all engines ran very well. With all four engines purring at 1000 RPM, the brakes were released and 159 began to roll... an immediate brake application and she came to a halt. Brakes released again, she rolled a total of about 20 ft with moderate brake applications. With the limited room, that's about all we can do with her! I would like to thank our Lanc Crew for making this possible.

I would also like to pass on a thank you to Craig Brookhouse of CWH for his help in answering all of my questions about taxing a Lanc.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU HAS TO GO OUT TO ALL OF OUR SUPPORTERS, with out your support we would not be able to do any of this! THANK YOU!!!!

Yes, we will taxi her again, she won't taxi at every event this summer but we will do our best!
Greg Morrison,
Director BCMC

Must be a great sight and sound, congrats to all concerned

Great news Greg! I didn't know you were a member here and the reverse is probably true as well. I'm down there every Saturday with the Mosquito gang and plan to be there this weekend.

Andy

Great news Greg! I didn't know you were a member here and the reverse is probably true as well. I'm down there every Saturday with the Mosquito gang and plan to be there this weekend.

Andy
I don't think he is Crimea River.. I was asked to post the news release by one of the Director's..
1010220_768348689876010_1891461997630724328_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pic - I can almost hear the hiss and squeal of the brakes.

Is there a Lancaster around that moves who's brakes don't squeal when applied. I know the CWH one does and has since the day she first moved. You lucky UK guys are going to get it in stereo this year if the BBMF Lanc is a squealer as well.

Cheers,

Jeff

Yep, and on board, you can hear the hiss and the odd thump, even above the din of those four Merlins. Really looking forward to (hopefully) seeing the two Lancs airborne together. It's a shame the East Kirkby Lanc isn't airworthy yet - three Lancs in formation would be just mind-blowing !!

No problem Crimea that is why I put Gregs name at the end of it as it was shared from the facebook group page and I idnt want folk's thinking it was me that had taxiied her ;)

Yes Lanc's always hiss and squeal with the brakes.. if not then theres something wrong ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back