Two Lancs .... and the Vulcan! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Little Gransden air show, August 24th, 2014.

As you will have seen from Karl's thread in the 'Aircraft Pictures' section, we went to see the two Lancasters at this air show, held on a lovely little grass airstrip not far from Duxford, in Cambridgeshire, UK.
The field is privately owned, only a mile or so from the former bomber base of Gransden Lodge, and is the home of Yak UK, and The Cambridge Flying Group.
The show, in aid of 'Children in Need', a UK charity, was a mixture of some 'warbirds', aerobatic formation displays, and the very entertaining, 1930's style, 'Captain Neville's Flying Circus', of which more later, and provided a great, relaxed atmosphere, more like an old-fashioned 'garden party'.
Fortunately, the heavy rain, which had plagued the region, held off for the day, which was warm and sunny, although a lot of back-lit cloud caused some tricky photographic conditions at times, evident in some of the shots.
The field was packed to capacity, with the Lancasters of the Canadian Warplane Heritage and the BBMF being the major attraction, and the mighty Vulcan, in it's penultimate display season, holding the crowds in awe.
There were quite a few cases of somewhat damp eyes, when these three products of the AVRO company did their stuff !!
The Lancasters displayed at the mid-point of the show but, as these were the attraction, I'll start off with a few sample photos.
More will follow very soon.

Attachments

• Lanc 1.jpg
    Lanc 1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Lanc 2.jpg
    Lanc 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Lanc3.jpg
    Lanc3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Lanc 4.jpg
    Lanc 4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Lanc 5.jpg
    Lanc 5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Lanc 6.jpg
    Lanc 6.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Lanc 7.jpg
    Lanc 7.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 172
  • Lanc 8.jpg
    Lanc 8.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 169
Terry will be offline for a few days as he has no internet service in his area, just thought i would let you all know.

just in case you thought he was being a lazy bugger and not sorting out his pictures !!!!

Thanks very much chaps.
I've got a partial connection again, but I've been told that work will continue on the local transmitter masts over the weekend, so I might lose connection again.
I'll try to get some more pics posted in the meantime, starting very soon.

And we're off !

First though, I must apologise. All of my photos were slightly under-exposed, meaning I've had to adjust them using 'Irfanview', and therefore the quality of some is not as good as it should be.
My fault entirely, as I'd adjusted the Nikon's exposure compensation to allow for the strong highlights, back-lit cloud, and high UV. But this numpty adjusted it the wrong way - to '-' instead of '+' !!

A few more of the Lancasters, before moving on to the other 'acts' in the show. As the Lanc formation was flown in 'trail', that is, line astern, it was a bit tricky to get both aircraft in the frame at certain angles, especially in profile, therefore a number of my shots are more atmospheric, long shots.
So here's a few more, and I'll post others later in the thread.
A new Spitfire will be up next .............

Attachments

• Lanc 9.jpg
    Lanc 9.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Lanc 10.jpg
    Lanc 10.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Lanc 11.jpg
    Lanc 11.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Lanc 12.jpg
    Lanc 12.jpg