Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

30mm Mine Shell?

Weapons Systems Tech. Discuss 30mm Mine Shell? in the Technical forums; I recall reading that the FW 190 "Battering Rams" used 30mm mine shells as their canon ammo What is a ...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

30mm Mine Shell?

I recall reading that the FW 190 "Battering Rams" used 30mm mine shells
    as their canon ammo What is a "Mine shell" and how is it different from a regular 30mm round

(img)(/img)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Minengeschoß (Mine-Geschos) (Mine Shell) was made by drawn steel (the same way brass cartridges are made) instead of being forged and machined as was the usual practice for cannon shells...

This resulted in a shell with a thin but strong wall, which hence had a much larger cavity in which to pack a much larger explosive or incendiary charge than was otherwise possible.... The incendiary rounds were also often fitted with a hydrostatic fuse, which detonated when it came in contact with liquid....

This was to ensure that the round did not merely explode on the target aircraft's skin (which would cause little damage), but instead penetrated it and exploded when it came into contact with fuel or coolant inside the fuel tanks or radiators respectively.....

Ive included the Handbook/Manual German Proving Ground Rechlin 1943 in pdf form at the botton....
    Cartridges, color codes, projectiles, cases, primers, fuzes....
    Helps if u read Germanic.......
    Basic HE ammo, 330 grams bullet carring no less than 85 grams of nitropenta explosive content, to make some comparative a standar stick grenade carry 115 grams of explosive. Impact nose fuse AZ 1587.

Minengeschoss ausf A m-Zerleger:
    Like the earlier but with a self destruction device wich actuated after 3 seconds, green band on bullet.

3cm Brandgranate-patrone:
    Filled with a incendiary bursting charge Ph Mg of 140 grams, 490 m/s initial speed

Minengeschoss Ausf C L-spur:
    He-tracer improved, the ausf C ammo was a streamlined desing in order to achieve a more straight flying path. The ausf C carried a litle less explosive filling, about 72 grams. The base of the projectile allowed a traced element .The muzzle speed was 510 m/s.

Minengeschoss Ausf c glimmspur:
    Same as avobe described, but a with a dimmer, non smoke tracer for low light/ night shooting.

Minengeschoss Ausf c glimmspur M -zerleger:
    Same as above but with self destruction. Very much used for the Night fighters in Reichs defense.

Thanks to Panzerknacker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30mm Mine Shell?-luftwaffe.pdf  

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap thats nuts!!!!!!!

Dont shoot him...... It will just make him angry.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx!!

WoW!! Thanks So much for the Absolutely fascinating info! You really know your stuff!
    Ralph
    (img)(/img)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool stuff there Dan!!!!

"Valor does not mean Hero."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pffft, I know how to google....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys just to add to Dan's posting there wre at least 10 different 3cm rounds some of them Minen but not all, you also had the phosphor rounds plus Glimmspur for the night fighters with limited tracer action. also to during fall of 44 the Sturmgruppen- heavy Fw 190A-8's were using M Geschoss that started fires once they were in contact with the aluminum skin of the bombers ` very dreadful round(s)
    Rip it up !

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lesofprimus View Post
    Pffft, I know how to google....

"Valor does not mean Hero."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd like to see more test footage

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theres only a 20mm hydrostatic fuze, the AZ 9501. Where did you see a 30mm fuze or an AZ 9501 used on a 30mm projectile.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Panzerknacker
    You are welcomed Les , Panzerknacker ( tank buster) is my nick in ww2incolor, but the same info is available here, in the Luftwaffe cannons topic.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent info Dan to be added into my WW2 files...thanks!

...in memory of my friend Joe Owsianik, a former right waist gunner from B-17G, 42-97159 from 2ndBG 20th Sqdn, who was forced to bail out on Aug. 29th, 1944 over my country. Joe passed away on November 1, 2010.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Komet weapons: MK 108 cannon

Good info on the MK 108's ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    hey guys just to add to Dan's posting there wre at least 10 different 3cm rounds some of them Minen but not all, you also had the phosphor rounds plus Glimmspur for the night fighters with limited tracer action. also to during fall of 44 the Sturmgruppen- heavy Fw 190A-8's were using M Geschoss that started fires once they were in contact with the aluminum skin of the bombers ` very dreadful round(s)
    That would probably be the one of the thermite (elektro-thermit) incendiary shells: The Type L, Type M, or possibly the Type J with HE filling plus thermite incendiary element)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very bad stuff none the less.... These rounds are the most fascinating ammo for me to read and talk about... Totally waaaaay ahead of their time...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much use did that type of ammunition see after the war? Did the US (or other allies) adopt it for their post-war 20 mm cannons. (if not the M3 or M24 hispano, possibly the Colt Mk.12 or M39/M61)

The 1950's ADEN/DEFA cannon at least apears to have used a high capacity shell:

(the 30x113B)

From Tony Williams' ammunition photo gallery: Untitled Document

Somthing else interesting in that picture is the interwar 23 mm Madsen shell, which looks surprisingly like a mine-shell.
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 12-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast