Ju-87 bomb layout

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
A drawing I found of some of the bomb layouts for the Ju-87

Enjoy

Attachments

• Ju-87.JPG
    Ju-87.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,196
Hi Micdrow,

>A drawing I found of some of the bomb layouts for the Ju-87

Note that the load chart for the Ju 87 B-2 (from Betriebsanleitung Ju 87 B-2, Hauptabschnitt 10 Flugbetrieb, Juni 1940) indicates that it was possible to load a 1000 kg bomb, too.

Landing with a 500 kg or a 1000 kg bomb was to be avoided if possible.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Micdrow,

>A drawing I found of some of the bomb layouts for the Ju-87

Note that the load chart for the Ju 87 B-2 (from Betriebsanleitung Ju 87 B-2, Hauptabschnitt 10 Flugbetrieb, Juni 1940) indicates that it was possible to load a 1000 kg bomb, too.

Landing with a 500 kg or a 1000 kg bomb was to be avoided if possible.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Very true Henning,

Although for the life of me I cant seem to find a picture of a 1000lb bomb under a Stuka thats on the ground to show how close it was. I know Ive seen some some where?

Paul (aka Micdrow)

Maybe you can use flying simulator like "Fighter Ace".
I think that is a good game...
it is free!
You can fly Ju-87 to try it's weapon system...
(Maybe you already know about Fighter Ace:| )
I ever drive Ju-87 to throw bomb but always hurted by myself's bomb!:shock:
My skill is not good:( .
(Huh~~~Maybe I can drive A6M2 to crash on my target.
Like a KAMIKAZE pilot...:twisted: )
http://wikipedia.ketsujin.com/image...iness_End.jpg/800px-Ju-87D-3_Business_End.jpg
http://wikipedia.ketsujin.com/images/thumb/7/7b/Ju-87D-3_Cockpit.jpg/800px-Ju-87D-3_Cockpit.jpg
http://wikipedia.ketsujin.com/images/thumb/2/22/Ju-87D-3_Upper.jpg/800px-Ju-87D-3_Upper.jpg
There are some of the Fighter Ace's picture about Ju-87.

Was it really possible to use the outer wing hardpoints for 500 kg bombs on the D-series ? Never heard of this and I doubt the wing was strong enough to handle 500 kg bombs.

>Was it really possible to use the outer wing hardpoints for 500 kg bombs on the D-series ? Never heard of this and I doubt the wing was strong enough to handle 500 kg bombs.

Attachments

• Junkersflugzeuge_Bukowski_Griehl_p29_s.jpg
    Junkersflugzeuge_Bukowski_Griehl_p29_s.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 592
>Was it really possible to use the outer wing hardpoints for 500 kg bombs on the D-series ? Never heard of this and I doubt the wing was strong enough to handle 500 kg bombs.

I don't know HoHun, take a look at this drawing of a Ju-87 carrying these pods. If they are placed right in the drawing. In theory it might be possible. I mean. Those pods couldn't be that light weight and then you have the added weight of a person inside. Definitely an interesting question. Would be interesting to find out what the weight of those man portable pods would be.

Attachments

• ju-87.JPG
    ju-87.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 591
Hi guys,
According to infos I've found in some books about Ju-87D, bombs on the a/c could be handled at three places.The first one ( the main) was under the fuselage.At this point could be mounted a bomb rack ver. 500/XIIc for 250kg or 500kg bombs or 2000/XII for 1000kg or 1800kg bombs.Both these bomb racks were mounted at the common bomb carriage 1000/500/IXb.Two additional places under outer wings with 500/XIIc bomb racks mounted to bomb-carriage 1000/500/IXc.Because of the wing durability the bombload at these places was limited to 250kg.To the bomb carriage there also were mounted on both sides the ETC 50/VIIId bomb racks for 50kg bombs.
The PC1000 anti-armour bomb: lenght-217cm,diameter-50cm,weight of explosive charge 160kg
Back to the spy carriges or pods ( as you wish).It is stated that there could be carried two people in each carriage.Lo0king at some pic of Ju87D-3 with these I've got an impression that these were made of plywood or these were a metal frame covered with fabric.So if each one of passengers weighed about 80kg and there were two (160kg) at the place and adding about 60kg of equipment for them ( 220-230kg totally) it can be estimated that the pods could weighed about 20-30kg or less and the weight of 250kg at this places wasn't passed.Of course it is my opinion only.

Stowage plans for the D1 and D5 A

Looks like they considered the crew to be 140 to 200 kg

The D5 A shows a case for a 1400 kg and a 1800 kg bomb
D5 B (not shown) lists a 905 kg torpedo

None of the versions of this that I have (B2 through H8) show anything larger than a 250kg bomb on the wings mounts

Attachments

• stowage ju87d1.jpg
    stowage ju87d1.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 538
  • stowage ju87d5 version a.jpg
    stowage ju87d5 version a.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 548
Very interesting guys, I was thinking those pods would weigh more. Especially if you had two people in them,
The parachute equipment and then the spy equipment or gear would add more weight also.

From what I understand about these pods they worked pretty well except for the release mechanism during flight and the
main reason why the program was discontinued. I will see if I can dig deeper on the subject once I get home. Im curious now
on the weight of those pods? It also throws me off when things are in kg, Im use to English system being in the US and not
the metric system.

From what I understand about these pods they worked pretty well except for the release mechanism during flight and the
main reason why the program was discontinued.

According to some books about Ju-87 these pods caused some aerodynamical problems to the aircraft.Besides,there were problems with a safe releasing of these containers during a flight.And these were a main reason why the project was given up.As far as the weight of the those is concerned, taking the way how those ones were landing ( with a parachute ) into consideration they couldn't be too much heavy.Look at this pic.It seems to be covered with fabric.

BTW. Sorry that the metric system is not only one in all the world. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Ju87 pods.jpg
    Ju87 pods.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 611
Yeah your right Wurger, looking at that picture it diffently looks like canvas streched over some sort of frame. It was probably a good thing they didnt work out the bugs. If they had it might have been an effective way to drop spys and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back