Allied Planes Of WWI (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks.
I've been up and running just over a year so far.
There are Mosltly WW1, but I do have a couple of WW2 subjects and one Luft'46 aircraft. There are some freebies on the site that anyone can download. These include an A36 Apache and a Swordfish.

TTFN,

Marcus

I've made quite a few WW2 stuff. I scratch built a Mistel 1 a few ywars back.
I started model making when I was five, with a kit bought for me by my Uncle. I have built my fair share of Spitfires Mustangs and Me109's. Many of them were hurridly stuck together in an afternoon and test flown on Mum's clothes line that evening.
I got into paper models after a house move and my Wife's prohibition on any more plastic kits. I got interested in the WW1 stuff all over againafter visiting the Shoreham airshow with my dad about 5 years ago and I've got the bug for string and canvass.
TTFN,

Marcus

Hi!
Some data about first serial heavy bomber IM:
Name: ILYA Muromec
name after ILYA Muromec , ancient hero.

First sample: oct. 1913.
load: 1290 kg

Model:Series B (1914)
Maximum range: 650 verst :: 692.9 km
Power Plant: 4x140hp "Argus"
Wings Square: 152,6 m2
Test flights (one of a pilots is Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky(!))
Production: 6

Model:Series V (light) (1914-15)
Power Plant: 4x150hp RB3-6 , or 2x140hp+2x125hp Argus
Production: 22
Empty Weight: ~3000 kg
Max bomb load: ~500kg small bombs (one 410kg experiments)

Model:Series G(1915-18)
Max height: 5200m (oxygen limit) with 1340kg load.
Speed: 137 km/h with 1900kg load.

Model:Series E(1916-17)
Power Plant: 4x220hp Renault
Empty Weight: 4960 kg
Bomb load: 800 kg
Defensive weapons: 8 machine-gun: 2x "Vikkers" with 1200-1500 ammo, 3x "Luis" w/ 940-1700ammo, 3x "Madsen" w/ 750-1000ammo
Production: ~80

pictures was scan from books.

Attachments

• im_b_1915.jpg
    im_b_1915.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,704
  • first.jpg
    first.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,705
  • backg2.jpg
    backg2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,692
  • psc.jpg
    psc.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,718
  • sere.jpg
    sere.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,715
  • sea.jpg
    sea.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,726
Roy Brown, who was chasing the Baron that day, was going to the aid of his friend, Wop May, a novice combat pilot who went on to be a famous Canadian bush pilot. May got 13 'kills' during WW1.

link to May's adventure that day, http://www.kaisersbunker.com/rfc/rfc15.htm

Brown was born 50km from where I live.

A map of the flight paths. Baron - Red, May - Yellow, Brown - Blue

lastflight2.jpg

from http://www.anzacs.net/MvR_English.htm

i know roland garros was an early french ace who was shot down and taken prisoner.his morane monoplane crash landed over the german lines and he was captured before he had time to set fire to his plane.the unique thing to his morane was he had his own interrupter mechanism fitted to it.the outcome was the germans examined the device and introduced it to anthony fokker.he made some modifications and voila he was credited with being the genius of the interrupter mechanism.when garros escaped from his prison camp he was immediately back in his squadron and up in the air with 2 hours.several weeks later he was killed in action by an albatross.he was flying against a superior machine and was flying with rusty skills.the speed and manouverability of this unfamilliar fighter to him was to cause his death.in the time of his absense from the skys aircraft became faster more heavily armed and lethal killing machines.

I think I am right in saying that Roland Garros didn't have an interrupter gear on his Morane. What he had were thick metal plates so that when the bullet hit the propeller it would deflect off and not destroy the blade. Crude, basic and rough certainly, but it did work.

heres the actual facts.

Other aircraft designers such as Franz Schneider in Germany and Raymond Saulnier in France were also working on the same idea. In the early months of 1915, the French pilot, Roland Garros, added deflector plates to the blades of the propeller of his Morane-Saulnier. The idea being that these small wedges of toughened steel would divert the passage of those bullets which struck the blades.

After the Morane-Saulnier that Roland Garros was flying crashed at Courtrai on 19th April, 1915, Anton Fokkerwas able to inspect these deflector blades. Fokker and his designers decided to take it one stage further by developing an interrupter mechanism. A cam was attached to the crankshaft of the engine in line with each propeller blade, when the blade reached a position in which it might be struck by bullets from the machine-gun, the relevant cam actuated a pushrod which, by means of a series of linkages, stopped the gun from firing. When the blade was clear, the linkages retracted, allowing the gun to fire.

i hope i,ve managed to make ammends for my mistake guys?

JRK. Dont take it badly. Everyone on this site makes observations and sometimes you find that a belief that you had was wrong or that you hadn't thought of a particular angle. Certainly its happened to me. That is how you learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back