What was the best fighter of WW1? (1 Viewer)

What was the Best fighter of WW1

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gents is the mag Windsock still in business ?

Also the pic I posted, does anyone have a clue from what albatross Jasta ??

vielen Dank

E ♪

Erich said:
gents is the mag Windsock still in business ?

Also the pic I posted, does anyone have a clue from what albatross Jasta ??

vielen Dank

E ♪

Just a guess Erich but the Windsock Datafile Special on the Albatros has a profile of a simular painted D.V of Jasta 16 flown by a Lt Theodor Rumpel. Your photo is a D.V.

The nose is all black and the stripes (5) continue on to the fin.

Reference given: Cross and Cockade Journal Vol 8 No 4 Winter 1967 pg 374

The Special also has a photo of a reflector gunsight mounted in a D.III (pg28). Another trivia is that Fokker Waffenfabrik had 12 barreled motor driven machinegun. A photo can be seen on pg14 of the Arado book by Kranzhoff.

i loved the se5a.i have several of that marque on my ceiling.sluggish with earliy powerplants but when produced with the hispano suiza/wolseley viper powerplant it became the vital killing machine.twas a sad day when one of britains finest pilots(albert ball)died in arguably britains finest fighting machine.

Fokker DVII has to be the best fighter in WW1. I know its not on the list but it made a huge impression on the allied forces.
Its agility was as good as anything but without the vices of the Camel. Its spead was as good as the best

HealzDevo said:
Albatross IV I reckon was the best fighter of WW1.
The only reference I can find on the D.IV(L22) is that it was an experimental a/c that was tested and then abandoned in April 1918. It was based on the D.II though slighly larger.

Where's the Fokker DVII?

Smokey said:
Where's the Fokker DVII?

That is a given. :D The question is really what is the 2cd best fighter of WW1.

Was not the D.VII specifically mentioned to be surendered in the Versaille treaty?

"The Fokker D.VII was the equal of, if not better than, the British SE5s, Camelsand French SPADs and is considered to be one of the outstanding fighters of the First World War. It was so successful that it was the only aircraft to be singled out by the Allied Powers in the Armistice Agreement section which detailed war material to be handed over:

"In erster Linie alle Apparate D.VII (especially all first line D.VII aircraft)". "

Yes it was. And if you go to the first page of the thread, kiwi, you actually produced this quote.

My vote goes for the DVII. Fokker made a world class fighter in the DVII. Ive heard alot about the Camel not being so easy to fly for beginner pilots. While overall it was a good aircraft, i would still prefer the fokker. As for the french spad and nieuports, i wouldnt want to set foot in anything that was designed by the group responsible for the Cho Cho machine gun. That pitiful piece of trash cost alot of americans theyre lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back