What was the best fighter of WW1? (2 Viewers)

What was the Best fighter of WW1

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kiwimac said:
Give me your votes and then tell me why you think so. I'll let you know my opinion in due course. :D

Kiwimac
fokker eindecker...for it's time it was the best in the air ie,bloody april,it's most difficult to say wghat was the bedst becaus of the rapid advance of the technoligy...fokker DVII had to be the best for the longest time..

Hello everybody,

perhaps one should put in here some different categories.
First I use only Aircraft, that saw combat for at least 2 mnths of WW1

-fastest Fighter : SE 5a
-most nimble Fighter/best turning a/c : Sopwich Camel / Fokker Dr I
-best climbing fighter : Fokker D VII ( BMW IIIa )
-easiest to fly Fighter/ Beginnerfriendly : Fokker D VII
-best performer at alt > 5000 m : Fokker D VII
-best boom n zoom bird : Fokker EV / D VII
-most stable gun Platform : SE 5 a
-mont advanced/ ahead of Time : Junkers J2 ( all-metal/low-
Wing-a/c

So as even the alleys admitted, the D VII was not best at all categories, but clearly best overall fighter.

And for your Information, since the second half of 1917 the german air-force was allways outnumbered, in 1918 by a ratio of nearly 5:1 at some parts of the front. That was the reason why the germans began to form the first "Jagdgeschwader" (squadrons) out of 4 JaSta's (9 to 12 planes ) . So they hat at least equal strengh at SOME parts of the Front. First Jagdgeschwader was JG1, lead by no one else then MvR.

So guys, if you have some more Questions, I am willing to answer ;)

Best Greetings

Brotrob

nice paint job right ? this has got to be one of my favorites from too many years ago. Two aces in the pic with this wild Albatross

Attachments

• file0006_c.jpg
    file0006_c.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,692
glad u guyz enjoyed the pic. Yes it is quite old but what a shot !

Say any of you have any of the many Squadron-signal publications on the WW 1 fighters. have to admit for a soft bound volume(s) these are nifty little booklets to have due to the huge photographic content. sometimes the stats are not always true but the pics are enough to buy the works

:idea:

I haven't seen any of the Squadron Signal books on WWI airplanes, just WWII ones. And they do have amazing shots. I just picked up 2 yesterday, one on the F4U and one on the C-47, both for future presentations. It has some good stuff, but the pictures are awesome.

ok bud you have to pick up the Albatross and the Fokker Dr I and the volume on the DVII. Osprey actually did two nice volumes on the DVII as well. the profiles might be a bit bright but still sehr Kühl nonetheless. Of clurse this is if your interested in German WW 1 a/c. they do cover the Spad and other Allied craft.....

I have the 1st volume of the Osprey D VII but not the second so I need to order it. I have found many of the Osprey books crap due to their loud profiles and mismatched captions under the pics, but the WW 1 pieces have done pretty well from what I hear.

any good books on the Jasta's as a whole anyone ?

evangilder said:
I haven't seen any of the Squadron Signal books on WWI airplanes, just WWII ones. And they do have amazing shots. I just picked up 2 yesterday, one on the F4U and one on the C-47, both for future presentations. It has some good stuff, but the pictures are awesome.

You can order them from here.

http://www.squadron.com/SearchResul...verything&ManuList=SS&Key=in+action&Submit=Go

The Osprey books.

http://canvaseagles.diplomacy.ca/osprey_book_list.htm

If you are in the staes any of the Barnes and Nobel books tores or Borders or ? make sure you have the ISBN # on hand as the help will be totally lost with out it.....

by the way the Fokker DVII rules the air 8)

The Germans were the first airforce to get really organised with seperate jasta bomber squadrons, ours of the RFC sometimes had one flight of fighters and another flight of bombers/recon aircraft in each squadron.

The best British Aircraft i think is the SE5A, its wolsey viper engine didnt suffer from the torque effect of the Gnome rotarys used in the Camel.#

The best German Fighter is the Fokker D8 monoplane. its been said that it could hang on its prop in the air like a helicopter, and fire its guns upwards. a worthy adversary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back