110 Pictures Of The War In The Pacific

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is a very good one from the blog.

pacific095.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG

Good find, SYS, many thanks. A few observations: The photo of the car wrecked in Hawaii which was allegedly hit by shrapnel, looks more like it was hit by 20 mms and 7.7s. The Marines landing at Guadalcanal in 1942 appear to be armed with the 1903 Springfield, not the Garand,which I was aware of. Those Marines toting the Thompson are still using the drum mag. And the photo of the American handing the cigarette to the buried Jap soldier either was staged for propaganda or tells volumes about the humanity of the American soldier.

Good find, SYS, many thanks. A few observations: The photo of the car wrecked in Hawaii which was allegedly hit by shrapnel, looks more like it was hit by 20 mms and 7.7s. The Marines landing at Guadalcanal in 1942 appear to be armed with the 1903 Springfield, not the Garand,which I was aware of. Those Marines toting the Thompson are still using the drum mag. And the photo of the American handing the cigarette to the buried Jap soldier either was staged for propaganda or tells volumes about the humanity of the American soldier.

The car had been hit by shrapnel from AAA. Ive seen that picture many times.

As for the Marines at Guadalcanal, they did use Springfields. I think the initial batches of Garands were going to the Army.

I know the caption says that but some of the holes just behind the engine compartment and some of the holes in the left front fender, left front door and left rear door look too round and regular to be shrapnel from a bomb. The bigger holes and the irregular holes could be from exploding 20mms and from richochets.. Obviously, it really makes no difference for the photo is very graphic and stark. Brings back my memories from that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back