This Day in the Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's not unusual for damgaed aircraft to be patched up and re-used. I don't know the details of this particualr case, but it's possible the pilot, badly wounded, managed to belly land the plane but then later died. The plane could have been repaired relatively easily.

another interesting tidbit source unknown...
103140.jpg

What a bl**dy fantastic thread !. :notworthy:I will admit its on a part of the forum I dont normally look at....I can see now that I've been missing out somewhat !.

Been busy trying to figure out how many mornings I have to get to work extra early, to enable me to print this epic off on the works printer (but dont tell anyone !) current estimate is all of next month ....gulp. Once printed, this will definately accompany me next year when Tony and I...and any-one who can join us !!... do another Battle of Britain pilgrimage

Chris, you should have a go at making a 'front cover' picture for this thread. That would be the icing on the cake !!

Top marks :salute:

Thanks Gary. I'm sure I've made a few mistakes and there are some spelling problems along the way but I had fun doing this. Thanks everyone!

It has been a wonderful thread Chris, and we all appreciate the hard work that you put into it. Like Gary I too I'm looking for the opportunity to print it out at on the sly. I've been saving it to word, and it turned out to be an amazing 318 pages and 163,477 words. I even made up a cover for it.
WELL DONE CHRIS!
Oil-painting-No19-1-703665.jpg

Well Njaco, scores of postings, many hundreds of pages in length should anyone want to print it of very fine detail, in which I agree that everyone found something new, and what do we find at the end. That your not perfect, missing one persons posting for one month in the entire war. Shame on you:rolleyes:

John, the information is of interest, but the tone needs working on.

I don't need you to tell me how to word a post, when it is providing factually correct information from an actual participant. I corrected wrong information which I have seen on several websites over a long period of time.

I post on here to provide people with information from the decades of research I have done. I don't need sarcasm from people like you. Or perhaps you've done more and know more than I do...?

I would suggest the tone of your whole reply needs working on.

I don't need you to tell me how to word a post, when it is providing factually correct information from an actual participant. I corrected wrong information which I have seen on several websites over a long period of time.

I post on here to provide people with information from the decades of research I have done. I don't need sarcasm from people like you. Or perhaps you've done more and know more than I do...?

I would suggest the tone of your whole reply needs working on.

As to the tone of my reply, that is something that we will have to disagree on, it was in my opinion deserved and deliberate. There were two points that got my goat as they say.

1) The emphasis of the word NOT, it wasn't needed, added nothing and put an aggressive tone that was out of place.
2) I cannot find anywhere any acknowledgement or thanks from you for the huge effort put into this thread, which surpasses anything that I have seen on any thread on any forum.

The fact that you have done decades of research doesn't excuse you from acknowledging the work that went into it. Neither does it mean that you have the right to be aggresive. As I said I found what you said interesting, it was the how it was said.

Last edited:
congratulations Nj, well done. from that graph you posted i can see why the battle was basically lost from the 2nd week of september.....

I may print this whole thread off as well and put it in my library. Its an excellent account my friend

John and Glider - please no fisticuffs. I know you both from the forum and would not take any comment from either as an insult. Its all good. I was not offended and actually amazed that Mombeek got that little bit wrong.

Can't we all jus get along?!

John and Glider - please no fisticuffs. I know you both from the forum and would not take any comment from either as an insult. Its all good. I was not offended and actually amazed that Mombeek got that little bit wrong.

Can't we all jus get along?!

Happily, I will now go back to being a quiet old man with my slippers and Scotch by the fire.

Thanks again

As to the tone of my reply, that is something that we will have to disagree on, it was in my opinion deserved and deliberate. There were two points that got my goat as they say.

1) The emphasis of the word NOT, it wasn't needed, added nothing and put an aggressive tone that was out of place.
2) I cannot find anywhere any acknowledgement or thanks from you for the huge effort put into this thread, which surpasses anything that I have seen on any thread on any forum.

The fact that you have done decades of research doesn't excuse you from acknowledging the work that went into it. Neither does it mean that you have the right to be aggresive. As I said I found what you said interesting, it was the how it was said.

Your post was deliberate, but in my opinion, not deserved. It was sarcastic and taking the piss.

1. Your use of the word 'emphasis' sums up exactly what I was doing in putting the word 'not' in capitals. If you thought it was agressive, that's your problem.
2. There is no obligation upon anyone, on any forum, to state anything about threads or posts. You imply that I should post an acknowledgement or thanks for the thread. Why? I am not beholden to it, or its author. I really don't follow the logic or criticism in your second point.

I have not claimed the right to anything. You are the one putting that on me. Also, I don't see the connection between 'decades of research' and 'acknowledging the work', as you put it. The two do not inter-connect. What's your point exactly?

To reiterate: I posted the correct information regarding Otto Hintze. What had been posted was incorrect information, which has been perpetrated in print, and since its advent, the internet. The simple fact is, the correct information has been out there since 1990.

You are a stright talker, and I have no problem with that. But there is no excuse for the sarcasm and jibe that you displayed in quoting/replying to my post regarding Otto Hintze.

And in case there are any doubters out there, here's a pic of me with Otto Hintze taken at his home in Munich. He's on the left of the photo. On the right is Eberhard von Treutschler d'Elsa, Staffelkapitän of 5./ZG 26 during the Western Campaign in the Spring of 1940.
2s8qs95.gif

Alright enough! Njaco already asked everyone to calm down. He said he took no offense to your post and he explained that to Glider. Glider said no problems.

Lets get this back on topic and leave the bickering to private messages, okay...

So, NJ, having gone to all this effort, i invite you to summarise your opinions on the battle....was there a winner, what mistake did each side make, and could the battle have gone differently??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back