Honouring Polish Vets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
"It's the younger generation who should be carrying the torch for veterans like 87-year-old Charley Fox, Distinguished Flying Cross recipient with bar.

Yet the honorary colonel for 412 Squadron (his old wartime Spitfire squadron) and decorated Second World War Spitfire pilot, is carrying the torch for a special group of Canadian and allied veterans who, he believes, have not received their "due recognition."

HCol Fox has started a project called the Torchbearers to recognize all Canadian prisoners of war (POW), six Canadian airmen who were executed along with 44 others after the "Great Escape" from Stalag Luft III (Permanent Camp for Airmen #3) on March 24, 1944, and Polish combatants who served with Canadian air and ground forces throughout the Second World War. HCol Fox served and trained with two of the six Canadian airmen who were executed for trying to escape via tunnels the POWs had dug.

"I have a passion for seeing these three groups of veterans recognized," said HCol Fox. "I am 87 years old, I hurt from the various injuries I sustained in the war. I live on a fixed income, yet I am absolutely passionate we must do something to give these fallen heroes the recognition they deserve."

Among his goals: to have a medal struck for all Canadians who served as POW, living and deceased; to have 50 Canadian students travel to , Poland (formerly Sagan, Germany) in 2010 (the 65th anniversary of the liberation of Stalag Luft III) to march and wear the air force battle dress of all the countries of those executed; and to encourage the federal government to officially recognize the contributions of Polish combatants to the success of the CF in Italy, Normandy and through to the liberation of Holland.

"The Polish Air Force served within the Royal Air Force and one of the largest air forces in the European theatre," said HCol Fox. "Over 14 000 air crew flew with 18 different squadrons. They fought in the Battle of Britain and many other campaigns—they were ferocious fighters."

So far HCol Fox has discussed the Torchbearers project with senior CF leadership, several mayors of Canadian and Dutch cities he would like to twin, and other officials with an interest in commemorating the allied victory in Europe.

"I'll be 90 years old in 2010 and I want to be there to see this thing unfold," said HCol Fox. "These veterans have fallen through the cracks. Something must be done."

Charlie Fox who is generally accepted as the guy who strafed Rommel is launching a campaign to honour Polish veys of WW2. Many of these Polish vets emmigrated to Canada after WW2 and even have there own legions

Agreed. Seeing as we went to war for Poland in the first place, the fact we were so compliant with the Soviet subjugation of the country shocks me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back