Identification of Japanese uniform

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RCB

Airman
Jul 9, 2009
I have a picture of my great grandfather that depicts him in a uniform (not necessarily military). I am unfamiliar with the uniform and was hoping someone might be able to identify it. He's seated to the left, wearing glasses. This photo would be in 1940 +/- a couple years. There's no date on the photo, but my grandmother is standing between the two seated men, so I'm guessing as to the age of the photo.

For a while they lived in Formosa, but moved back to Osaka probably around this time (if I remember correctly).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1b grandmom hi-ojiisan  family.jpg

Looks Naval to me and probably a dress uniform, but I'm really only guessing. I think he is in the same service as the man seated to his left although junior in rank to him. Look at the cap badge, it should be easy enough to look up.

Nice family photo, RCB.

I may need more detailed research but, at a glance, these gentlemen look policemen.
The right officer wears 勲七等瑞宝章(Kun-nanatou-zuihousyou = The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Medal) which was given to Police Lieutenant or other equivalent civil servants except militarymen.

Also, judging from the epaulet, the left officer wearing glasses looks Sergeant.

Image: 勲七等瑞宝章
dec-zui7-1.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. He had died in 1945 and my grandmother wasn't sure exactly what he did (or possibly didn't want to divulge and she didn't care to talk much about that time in great detail). I suspected it might be a police uniform, but it didn't look like the same police uniforms I had seen from the time frame. I believe most in the photo were family, the other seated man was a cousin. I "think" one of the men in the back row was his brother.

Again, thank you very much for your knowledge. I've been trying to see what else I can discover beyond what my grandmother had told me. :)

You are welcome, RCB, if my post may have contributed any to your research.

To my surprise, the young officer standing on the left behind resembles a former baseball player, Masumi Kuwata, very much!
He was born in Osaka in 1968 and his father was in 1943. It might be interesting for you to check your grandmother's old family name too.

Image: 桑田真澄 (Kuwata, Masumi)
IMGP7541.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back