Japanese American internment camp museum breaks ground in Utah

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
The story of the internment of more than 100,000 Japanese Americans during World War II hasn't always gotten widespread attention in the United States. But with construction beginning on the new Topaz Museum and Education Center in Utah, another step is being taken to keep the memory alive.

Read the full story below:
Japanese American internment camp museum breaks ground in Utah - latimes.com

Interesting timing. For years, we have driven past Manzanar, another Japanese American internment camp. Tomorrow, we will be visiting there. We stopped once before there was a museum or anything there. I have been getting a calling to visit again for a number of years. I will post some photos later in the week.

Sorry, weren't some of the most 'combatable' units (army and army air force) drawn from these 'internment'/concentraion camps - to prove to the 40's biggots how dutiful and American they were - can wait for photos (but will be intrigued), tis a longtime coming for them to be recognised officially.

Yes, the "Go for broke" 442nd Infantry Regimental Combat Team cam from the camps. They have a website:
Go For Broke National Education Center - Preserving the Legacy of the Japanese American Veterans of World War II

Not much is left in Manzanar anymore. There are foundations all over the place, a memorial stone, replica guard tower and the gym left. The gym houses the museum. 150 Japanese Americans died while in the camp. Some were cremated and all but 6 of the remains have been removed and buried elsewhere.

Manzanar was the first of the camps to be built. There is more there than I thought as the site was very large. About 10,000 people were interned here, most of them were American citizens.

There are a lot of photos in here, but I wanted to try and give an idea about this place. The interiors of the barracks were unfinished wood in 1942. By 1945, they had the sheetrock and flooring. The building were just wood and tarpaper, which must have been miserably cold in the winter.

The monument in the cemetery area is really moving. There were origami cranes in masses, tied with string. Can one of the Japanese members tell me what the significance is with the origami cranes? They were hundreds of them. Notice also the model of the camp to show how big it was.

If you are ever in the Sierras, I would recommend visiting. It's moving.

Attachments

• DSC_4145.jpg
    DSC_4145.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_4171.jpg
    DSC_4171.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_4173.jpg
    DSC_4173.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_4176.jpg
    DSC_4176.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_4183.jpg
    DSC_4183.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_4190.jpg
    DSC_4190.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_4200.jpg
    DSC_4200.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_4204.jpg
    DSC_4204.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 734
  • DSC_4207.jpg
    DSC_4207.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_4208.jpg
    DSC_4208.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC_4212.jpg
    DSC_4212.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_4219.jpg
    DSC_4219.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_4223.jpg
    DSC_4223.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_4238.jpg
    DSC_4238.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_4243.jpg
    DSC_4243.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_4244.jpg
    DSC_4244.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_4250.jpg
    DSC_4250.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_4254.jpg
    DSC_4254.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_4260.jpg
    DSC_4260.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_4262.jpg
    DSC_4262.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 160
I plan on doing an online article about it when I get back next week. There are so many details and facts that are interesting about it. Some of the photos in the interpretation center are pretty disturbing.

I'm glad you started this thread, evangilder ..... we did something similar on a smaller scale in Canada. Not our greatest moment but times were different then. Nothing to be proud of but nothing to be buried in the dark either. During 1914-18, the Canadian government interned Ukrainian Canadians IIRC because [part] of the Ukraine was territory of the German-Austrian alliance ... IIRC.

On the other hand ... Canada and the US didn't work these people to death on starvation rations as Canadian POW's were worked in Japanese mines after the fall of Hong Kong (December, 1941). And these camps were never the breeding ground for outbreaks of contagious disease the way the Boer War camps in South Africa were, IIRC.

I think it is folly to second-guess others in wartime ..... IMO. But - we certainly must keep learning about ourselves .... as human kind.

MM

Last edited:
With Jan, thanks for posting Eric!

Had read of these internment camps in 'Snow falling on Cedars' by David Guterson. Wonder how large a role that book (and subsequent film) played in opening people's eyes?

The monument in the cemetery area is really moving. There were origami cranes in masses, tied with string. Can one of the Japanese members tell me what the significance is with the origami cranes? They were hundreds of them. Notice also the model of the camp to show how big it was.

They are called Senba-Zuru(Thousand Cranes) folded by, mainly, women praying for the souls of victims.
They look healing old wounds to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing, Eric.

Last edited:
I'm glad you started this thread, evangilder ..... we did something similar on a smaller scale in Canada. Not our greatest moment but times were different then. Nothing to be proud of but nothing to be buried in the dark either. During 1914-18, the Canadian government interned Ukrainian Canadians IIRC because the Ukraine was part of the German-Austrian alliance ...
MM

Ucraina was part of russian empire... so were allies. maybe we need more data for understand this history

They are called Senba-Zuru(Thousand Cranes) folded by, mainly, women praying for the souls of victims.
They look healing old wounds to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing, Eric.

Thanks Shinpachi-san. I was reading about Senbazuru earlier this morning. There are a few stories about the thousand cranes. After reading more about that, I got the impression it was about healing and peace. There were also rocks and coins left at the memorial. I know in Judaism, placing a rock on the memorial stone signifies many things as well, but the main one signifying that the person has been visited and is remembered. I don't know the origin or significance leaving coins, so if anyone cares to chime in, feel free. It appears that there is a bit of healing from multiple cultures going on there. I saw some Japanese, Americans and even some European visitors there yesterday.

So I have done a little reading about leaving coins at a gravesite. Again, there are several interpretations about it and why it is done, but it does not appear to have any religious roots. The one I think probably sums it up best is this explanation:
Some people hold to the tradition of leaving something of yourself when visiting a grave. If nothing else, a coin from your pocket serves as a marker of your passage and esteem for the departed. It also signifies to any that pass by that the grave was visited, and that the deceased is well loved and esteemed and has not been abandoned or forgotten. Coins are also an older form of leaving flowers, a practice prompted by the heavy Romanticism of the Victorian era.

Read more: Why are pennies put on a grave

If it is in Buddhism, a victim's family places a stone to mourn him or her murmuring like "One for mother, one for father..."
You will see same Monetary Offering - Saisen by coins in a Buddhist temple.

Incedently, there is many academically 'un-accepted' connections between Ancient Japan/Bhuddism and Ancient Jewish practises too - the leather arm straps and (fore..)head-box things, animal or animal token/totem sacrifce, intonements while sprinkling/spreading/offering salt, the carrying of (usualy) box shaped shrines/arcs etc..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back