Ready for El Alamein: ideal British tanks (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Stuart tank is silhouetted against the setting sun as its commander scans the horizon, 1942.
Stewart-tank-595x592.jpg

AEC Mk I armoured car equipped with a 2-pdr gun in the Western desert
Armoured-car-595x583.jpg

Bishop 25-pdr self-propelled gun, 1942
Bishop-gun-595x586.jpg

Tank crews receiving instruction on the Grant tank, September 1942
Grant-tank-instruction-595x589.jpg

Staff officers examine a newly-arrived Sherman tank sitting on a Scammell Pioneer tank transporter, 15 September 1942.
Sherman-tank-595x586.jpg

42nd Armoured Division Exercise, Near Malton In Yorkshire, 29 September 1942. The Commander in Chief Home Forces, General Sir Bernard Paget, with the Division Commander, Major General M C Dempsey, DSO, MC, watching the exercise from a Crusader tank.
tank-exercises-1942-595x435.jpg

I liked the AEC armoured car photo so had a look for some more info.
In the Wiki article, it said that the early ones had the Valentine turret with 2pdr fitted.
It also said some were modified in the field to take a Crusader turret with 6pdr?
Saw this photo - looks Crusader but not 6pdr?
Redirect Notice

I think you will find that it was the Staghounds that were fitted with Crusader 6 pounder turrets. The Danes used them post war.

The AEC had it's own 6 pounder turret and that ended up being fitted to rebuilt Staghounds post war in Sudan and Lebanon. In the Lebanese case with ROF 75mm guns with ex Sherman 75mm guns and mantlets in the Sudanese case. I believe that AEC still had the turrets to sell but had moved the chassis production facilities to civilian lorries post war so put surplus Staghounds under them with whatever guns they could acquire cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back