StG44 vs AK-47

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for pointing out that series on Youtube. It is pretty entertaining.

I have never fired an STG 44 before but have owned a couple AK varients. I am a big fan of the AK mostly due to its reliability and ability to put out a high volume of man stopping rounds down range without having to worry much about stoppages. The AK in my opinion is one of the best rifles ever mass produced for the 200 meter or less firefights.

The StG weighs more than the AK, by about 2 pounds, and that makes a difference...

The effective range of the StG is 300m with some pretty weak sights, the AK is 100-1000m with sight adjustments...

The AK also has a higher muzzle velocity than the StG, a slightly higher rate of fire and is a smaller, more compact weapon...

Yeah, the appraisal that I saw was that the sights on the STG were very poor. I guess the rifle finish for the STG may make it a better proposition, but if the sights are crude, what do you do???

The StG44 was an interim design. It was to be superceded by the StG45 during May 1945. If Germany had survived WWII intact the Cold War would see NATO armed with the StG45 plus the original 7.92mm Kurz FN FAL vs the Warsaw Pact armed with the AK-47.

Sturmgewehr 45
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_45(M)
Type Assault rifle
Place of origin Nazi Germany

Service history
In service May 1945
Used by Nazi Germany

Production history
Designed 1944
Produced 1945
Number built 30

Specifications
Weight 5.22 kg (11.5 lb)
Length 940 mm (37 in)
Barrel length 419 mm (16.5 in)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge 7.92x33mm Kurz
Action Roller-delayed blowback
Rate of fire 350-450 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity 685 m/s (2,247 ft/s)
Effective range 300 m
Feed system 10 or 30-round detachable box magazine
Sights Rear: V-notch; front: hooded post

The Stug 45 seems a litte on the heavy side. 11.5lbs is pretty heavy for an infantryman to be carrying around as a standard weapon.

The StG44 and StG45 were both heavy compared to modern assault rifles. I suspect the StG45 auf A would see a weight reduction. Either that or the StG45 would be superceded by the G3, which traces it's development back to the StG45.

In either case I think the 7.92mm Kurz cartridge was just fine for a post-WWII infantry rifle. A much better choice then the historical NATO standard 7.62 x 51mm.

The effective range of the StG is 300m with some pretty weak sights, the AK is 100-1000m with sight adjustments...

Effective range is the same for both weapons, the StG44 shoots a heavier bullet abit slower and the AK47 shoots a lighter one a bit faster, both bullets are FMJBT's. The StG44's sights are fully adjustable out to a range of 800m.

Also I'd say the sights on the StG44 are just as good as those on the AK-47, both are crude sights, but actually prefer the V sight on the StG44 because of the the fact that you can shoot more accurately with a sharper front sight.

The AK also has a higher muzzle velocity than the StG, a slightly higher rate of fire and is a smaller, more compact weapon...

The RoF is very similar, the StG44 having one ranging from 500 to 600 rpm (Different reciever weights caused fluctuations in RoF), while the AK-47 has one of 600 rpm.

Here's are a couple of vids of StG44's firing at around 550 to 600 rpm (full power surplus ammo can also increase the RoF, reproduction ammo often decreasing the RoF):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMyeQEO9Ug

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_XIN7VMUzc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnvbvpGzbY

Notice in this vid how similar it is to the AK47 in RoF, it is really very much the same:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRYm11j3wwA

Davebender,

The StG44 wasn't going to be replaced by the StG45, it would be supplemented by it only. The StG45 was designed to be much cheaper and simple to manufacture than the StG44,

Also consider the timeframe these weapons were made, and the materials available. Not a lot of plastic weaponry being produced in '44 and '45. Had the StG-44 or -45 evolved over time, would it have been able to match the AK-47? If the makers of each weapon had the benefit of the exact same research and materials, how would they compare? Without that, its like saying that the P51 was a piece of crap because the F22 would eat it for lunch.

StG44 wasn't going to be replaced by the StG45, it would be supplemented by it only.
You are probably correct if we assume WWII continues into the late 1940s. However as soon as the war ends Germany would terminate production of the StG44 and MG-34. The newer StG45 and MG-42 designs would become post-WWII standard for the German armed forces.

You are probably correct if we assume WWII continues into the late 1940s. However as soon as the war ends Germany would terminate production of the StG44 and MG-34. The newer StG45 and MG-42 designs would become post-WWII standard for the German armed forces.

I'm actually quite certain that in the above event then the StG44 would be chosen instead for some time until a more refined weapon featuring some of the StG45's features was developed = a weapon like the G3.

I believe had the war ended with a draw because of Hitler somehow dying earlier than expected due to poor health or a plot against his life, then a weapon a lot like the HK33 (More wood, less plastic to begin with) chambered in the 7.92x33 kurz or a 6.5x43mm experimental round would be the std. issue rifle of the German armed forces from around 1950 onwards.

HK33:
HK33.JPG

One of my all time favorite designs, and the std. issue rifle for the indian army.

Sure. No one wanted to adopt a calibre of a defeated hated super power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back