WW2 Tank Gun Comparison (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You so smartly ignored the second request. And as for Wittmanns Tiger, again, hit by APCBC round.

Hello m_kenny
one slightly off topic question................

I can't think of an example I have read. I think it would have stood out and caught my attention.
Jones was lucky in that the first time he went into action against reported Tigers he managed to stall his tank in a ditch near Vire.
He did mention (page 146) that the '95mm gun had no AP for Tigers'

You so smartly ignored the second request. And as for Wittmanns Tiger, again, hit by APCBC round.

But then, as I explained earlier, I never said that it was using APCBC. The second request is redundant.
Ekins, a green gunner in his first action, had a 100% hit rate.

Soren
You are the one banging on about the lack of accuracy of the 17pd and the breaking up of the APDS shell and the poor design of the APDS shell.

But you are the only one who hasn't provided any sources. Quoted is the web site to which I gave a link that gave the hit chances of the 17pd. Also quoted have been the firing trials, as well as live combat experiece.

So all we ask, is what are your sources. Otherwise your statements are built on quicksand

Thanks a lot, m kenny.
Yes, the ditching near Vire was a result of "good" co-operation between Jones and his driver.
He also reveals on page 141 how untrained he and his gunner were with 95mm when giving indirect fire support to forward troops while closed down because airbursts turret became filled with smoke and cordite fumes until the operator remembered that the tank was fitted with a small extractor fan. When Jones switched it on situation became better.

Juha

Soren
You are the one banging on about the lack of accuracy of the 17pd and the breaking up of the APDS shell and the poor design of the APDS shell.

But you are the only one who hasn't provided any sources. Quoted is the web site to which I gave a link that gave the hit chances of the 17pd. Also quoted have been the firing trials, as well as live combat experiece.

So all we ask, is what are your sources. Otherwise your statements are built on quicksand

Glider,

My sources are the US test reports I've linked before, as-well as actual battlefield reports complaining about the APDS round. Fact of the matter is that all Sabot like projectiles of the era were less accurate than the std. AP projectiles.

Also I never claimed the 17 pdr to be an inaccurate gun, so why is it you keep saying or shall I say "bang on" with this ? I really can't understand that. I think I made it pretty clear that the 17 pdr gun itself was a very accurate gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back