The last book, magazine or newspaper you've read? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
A very simple question to those who are viewing this thread, what was the last book, magazine or newspaper you've read?

Me, Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake. A pretty funny book, and several jokes are still stuck in my head.

-Pong

A novel "The Grass Crown" by Colleen McCullough. Its about turbulent times of the eclipse of Roman Republic, with Cornelius Sulla and Gaius Marius beeing the main characters.

"When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler" by David Glantz Jonathan House. Very informative book but reads like a textbook there is so much data on troop movements, division strengths, command changes, tactical maneuvers, etc.

Book. "Third Reich at War". Deals primarily with the domestic policies of Hitler's Germany from 1939 to 1945. Excellent book, well researched and written. Tons of footnotes.

Highly recommended, especially for anyone who wants to know what it was like inside Germany during the war.

I read Sniper One a few months back and I was impressed.
I'm reading Hell Hawks! The untold story of the American Fliers Who Savaged Hitler's Whermact by Robert F. Dorr Thomas D. Jones.

I had a chance to visit with Mr Dorr yesterday and got my book signed.
It's about the 365th Fighter group- a P-47 outfit in the 9th Air Force, nice to read a detail account of a about a ground supression sqaudron.
I'm on the third chapter since this morning.

I usually have two books on the go at once, one fiction, one non-fiction. Currently my ficition is The Best of H. P. Lovecraft - I don't think I will ever get bored of re-reading his work.

Non-fiction is Three Victories and a Defeat: The Rise and Fall of the First British Empire by Brendan Simms, covers the period from the War of the Spanish Succession to the American War. Only two chapters in (barely past Blenhiem), but it is very well written and provocative.

..."Doomed at the Start" about the USAAC pursuit pilots in the Phillipines at the begining of WWII. A really good book except we all know how it ends...sadly. I can't remember the author of hand but it shouldn't be hard to look up with a title like that. I bought mine used for next to nothing and you can also. Recommended!

I also read at least two at a time- I'm aslo reading Dairy of a Confederate Soldier: John S. Jackman of the Orpahan Brigade by William C. Davis along with Hell Hawks. I get a lot o stuff from the library as well and with dues dates, etc I some times find myeslf reading more than two at once, lol!
Art

Hey Jeff Davis had to have his cream every morning!

Okay okay Diary of a Confederate Soldier...the fun of being dyslexic, I was looking at the book when I typed it...

Currently reading

Critical Path - R Buckminster Fuller

Forbidden Archaeology - Michael J Cremo

VIMANA Aircraft of Ancient India - David Hatcher Childress

I'm reading one of Jeremy Clarkson's books (the blue one) but I'm not sure if anyone will be familiar with him outside of the UK, he's a TV car show presenter but he has a real gift for journalism; if you look beyond the overgrown schoolboy he has a funny, witty, socially very perceptive knack of getting his point over, I can read him for hours. I also recently picked up

Tempest Pilot - C J Sheddan DFC RNZAF

which I haven't started yet but has jumped the reading queue a bit. I've got a bit of a backlog behind that, I recently bought spectacles for seeing small detail close up but have needed them for much longer, unfortunately I did the denial thing and ended up buying books that I was genuinely interested in but then just left them sat around in piles because it hurt my eyes to sit and look at pages full of what appeared to be dancing ants. :)

I now read whenever I get the time.

I'm reading one of Jeremy Clarkson's books (the blue one) but I'm not sure if anyone will be familiar with him outside of the UK, he's a TV car show presenter but he has a real gift for journalism; if you look beyond the overgrown schoolboy he has a funny, witty, socially very perceptive knack of getting his point over, I can read him for hours.

We've got BBC America where I live- Top Gear is one of my favorite shows.
I'll have to see what I can find of his to read over here.
Art

I haven't read a book cover to cover in a while. I've read lots of chapters and parts after finishing my dissertation on the RAF in the Faar East. Now writing my last ever essay on the Holocaust, which is hard to read as it's so depressing!

George E Kennan Memoirs 1925-1950
He was a career US diplomat including
opening US embassy in Russia in 30's (40 people )
Prague 1938-39
Berlin 1939 - 1941 (99 people including dependents and remeber they were handling all the commonwealths affairs )
Portugal in 1943-44
Russia 1944-45
then Poland Japan NATO MarshallPlan
What shocked me was how small the US diplomatic corps was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back