The last book, magazine or newspaper you've read? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finished the Confederate book and now starting another Aircraft book alongside of Hell Hawks (I don't like to but due to time restictions before it has to go back to the library I'm going to bump this to the top of the list)

New book:
A Dawn Like Thunder: The true story of Torpedo Squadron Eight by Robert J. Mrazek

Shinano: The Sinking of Japan's Secret Supership

It's about how a US submarine sank a Japanese aircraft carrier during World War II.
The Shinano was and I believe still is the largest vessel ever sank by a US submarine.

Wheelsup

Attachments

• Shinano.jpg
    Shinano.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 123
"The First and the Last" by Adolf Galland, even though the various translators of my edition of the book can make it a little challenging.
Plus it's been a while since the last time I took time to read an english language book, so I'm brushing off my english here and practising it a bit. :lol:

Fisnished up the aircraft books- Hell Hawks was very good and I ran out of time on the Torperdo Squadron 8 book so I'll have to get it from the library again to finish it.

Now reading Winston Groom's "Vicksburg 1863" and "Warrior: The Legend of Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen" by Peter H. Capstick (The last work of ofne of my favorite writers)

Just finished "Somme" by Lyn Macdonald. Really good history of the First Battle of the Somme, including a good amount of first-person perspectives, a look at the mindset of the commanding generals (and, by contrast, what conditions at the front ACTUALLY were like). Seemed to jump and skip a bit at times (the very end, they skip over the last push to take some ridges, and just give a page or two of "after-action" interview quotes from survivors. You get an idea of what happened in that last push, but...you weren't really there with the guys. All in all, not a bad book for someone who basically knew the name of the battle, and that (like most WW1 battles) it was an atrocious meatgrinder. Wasn't aware that tanks were first used (in small amounts, and generally three or four together...of which two or three broke down before ever engaging the enemy) here, and that the name "tank" came from Allied communications regarding these "land-ships", where they were referred to as "tanks" to deceive the Germans into thinking they were just trucks loaded with water coming up to the troops. Or so the book says (seems plausible, not sure if its 100% true or not).

Currently reading "Spellbound" by Larry Correia, my new favorite author. The dude has a wicked sense of humor/sarcasm! I love it!

I just finished Fighter Pilot, about Robin Olds, excellant book. He sounds like the kind of officer I would have liked to served under.
I was at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB when his 8 TFW was at Ubon RTAFB, his F-4's would occassionally give us some sooty lowlevel flybys on the way back from N. Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back