Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World War II’s Strangest Battle: When Americans and Germans Fought Together

Post Thanks / Like

World War II’s Strangest Battle: When Americans and Germans Fought Together

The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe by Stephen Harding | NOOK Book (eBook), Hardcover | Barnes & Noble

Days after Hitler’s suicide a group of American soldiers, French prisoners, and, yes, German soldiers defended an Austrian castle against an SS division—the only time Germans and Allies fought together in World War II.

The most extraordinary things about this truly incredible tale of World War II are that it hasn’t been told before in English, and that it hasn’t already been made into a blockbuster Hollywood movie. Here are the basic facts: on 5 May 1945—five days after Hitler’s suicide—three Sherman tanks from the 23rd Tank Battalion of the U.S. 12th Armored Division under the command of Capt. John C. ‘Jack’ Lee Jr., liberated an Austrian castle called Schloss Itter in the Tyrol, a special prison that housed various French VIPs, including the ex-prime ministers Paul Reynaud and Eduard Daladier and former commanders-in-chief Generals Maxime Weygand and Paul Gamelin, amongst several others. Yet when the units of the veteran 17th Waffen-SS Panzer Grenadier Division arrived to recapture the castle and execute the prisoners, Lee’s beleaguered and outnumbered men were joined by anti-Nazi German soldiers of the Wehrmacht, as well as some of the extremely feisty wives and girlfriends of the (needless-to-say hitherto bickering) French VIPs, and together they fought off some of the best crack troops of the Third Reich
    "Pilot to copilot..... what are those mountain goats doing up here in the clouds?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I never even heard of it, thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh? Really? Cool!
    “The entrance to the cockpit of this aircraft is most difficult. It should have been made impossible.” — Flight Journal magazine, April 2000, regards the XF10F-1, Grumman's first attempt at a swing wing fighter.
    EDIT: I have been informed by REDCOAT that the same "quote was first used by a test pilot for the British, Blackburn B-26 Botha ( a very unloved aircraft) in 1938" - Thanks amigo!

"Death doesn't ask..."

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be....

Jan "Felicis Tredecim"
    "I´m going back to the front to relax"
    "THE BLACK CATS FLIES TONIGHT"
    "Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant!"
    "When you're out of F-8's... You're out of fighters!"

World Travelling Doctor? Gnomey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting story! Never heard of it before now, will have to now keep an eye out for that book...

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

"To him the People of the World Largely owe the Freedom and Liberties they Enjoy Today"
    Enscription on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-40) statue in London

My Photo Collections on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    You learn something new everyday. Isn't that the truth?
    "Pilot to copilot..... what are those mountain goats doing up here in the clouds?"

Der Crew Chief DerAdlerIstGelandet's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Post Thanks / Like
    News to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    news to me too....

Post Thanks / Like
    That book has been on my must read list. Had been for about a month since I first heard of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible!! Thanks Sys!
    None of us is as smart as all of us...

Post Thanks / Like
    Great find, Sys!

I read the fascinating story published back in September 2008 by WWII History Magazine (The Battle for Castle Itter) in the condensed form by Stephen Harding.

Sometimes truth is better than Hollywood. It would definately make an awesome movie as long as Hollywood kept to the original events!.

You can read WWII History Magazine's article here: The Battle for Castle Itter

"Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future."
    - Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

Post Thanks / Like
    There was also an interesting story of WW1 where German and Russian troops fought together against packs of wolves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    Great find, Sys!

I read the fascinating story published back in September 2008 by WWII History Magazine (The Battle for Castle Itter) in the condensed form by Stephen Harding.

Sometimes truth is better than Hollywood. It would definately make an awesome movie as long as Hollywood kept to the original events!.

this IS a good story!! thanks for posting the mag link...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    Thanks for this link. I never heard about this story before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast