De Havilland Mosquito Launch Spectacular (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

James, I've just been looking at a picture on page 22 of the SAM Guide for Modelelrs - Mosquito. This shows the same aircraft, with a larger group of men, taken on what was obviously a warm, sunny day, as most of the group are in RAF 'shirt sleeve order', with ties. The same young chap is clearly seen, wearing RAF shirt with sleeves rolled up.
The caption states the aircraft is a Mosquito BXVI, which is incorrect, but does not give any info as to the identity of the group of men. They look like they are possibly the regular ground crew, with the young chap perhaps a recent addition?
It is evident that they are all in RAF uniform, including forage caps, in this very clear photo. The angle of the light, and the bright summers day, make it possible to see the diffused interior of the nose of the Mossie through the black paint on the perspex.
In view of this photo, presumably taken at a different time, it seems to point to it being unlikely (but not impossible) that the young chap in question is the relative you mention.
Note: I've only briefly flipped through this book, which is not up to the standard of the others in this series, and I've already noticed at least three photos with captions which are incorrect, not including the above mentioned photo.

Hi Guys,
I apologise if this is not the right forum, but hope you can help. My father in law died earlier this year. He kept his wartime exploits to himself. He is German and served in the Luftwaffe, but my wife (his daughter) believes he may have been in intelligence and he certainly worked for the RAF after the war at Gutersloh.

We have found this old picture (attached). Friends say it is him (centre) by an aircraft in Denmark after the war and wearing an American uniform. I am not sure as I think it is some kind of recce Mosquito and he is in RAF uniform. I also suspect it is during the war as he looks younger than 26 years old.

Do you know where I could start looking for information?

Thank you,

James Martin
View attachment 212770
As the guys have already stated it's difficult to find evidence from a pic taken so long ago and during the chaos of war. You mentioned you think your relative may have been in intelligence and possibly worked for the RAF after the war. If that is true, i wouldnt be surprised if he was working with the allies during ww2. There were certainly plenty of German men in all branches of the military that did help the allies with intelligence and or technology/information. If that were possibly true then finding out any detailed info could be near impossible. The S.O.E had many clandestine projects active during the war, but trying to find or indeed get access to any files is most unlikely. Just a thought but have you tried finding out any info on the other two men in the picture? The only thing i can suggest is to put the pic out there on social media sites, facebook, G+ etc.... Look for aircraft or ww2 forums and communities. There has to be someone out there that knows the background info for that pic, it's just a case of finding them. With the internet and social media you stand a chance at least. Also try any ancestor or war history sites. They may be able to help you. If you are that serious about finding out, i would contact the war archives dept. They will most likely charge you for the search/information, but at least you might get the knowledge and closure you need. I know this thread is 6 years old but hey its just a thought. I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. I tried searching with the pic you posted and got half a dozen different results/sources. Just goes to show how muddy the history waters are, especially when it comes to war history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back