1/48 Nichimo Spitfire Mk.IX (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
This started as serious build, but when I put the plastic up against scale plans, absolutely nothing lined up and I wasn't sure what Mark it was. Usually I'm not a rivet counter, but it was the rivets that threw me off. Bazillions of over-scale rivets(Notice the starboard roundel). Back in the box she went for a few years until I happened upon a photoshop site that was having a contest "What if zebras were in charge of painting" Along side the zebra striped White House, Pyramids and such was a zebra striped spitfire. Once built and painted, my youngest daughter fell in love with it and wanted it. A new snag hit when the clear parts wouldn't fit and so it sat for about 4-5 years. With my present GB spitfire, I found a canopy that would kinda, sorta fit, another model gave me the windscreen(wrong type) and I sawed apart the Nichimo clear parts for the rear piece. May I present a fictitious South African squadron hack, coded ZB*A.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Ha!
Nice job George!
Those old Nichimo kits are a hand full, to be sure.
I have a "Jake" Japanese floatplane in the build rotation, and I totally feel your pain.
Great job on the sows ear to silk purse idea though.

Great stuff Geo!
Just think though, when that kit was first released, it was acceptable! I've just been looking at the Nichimo Hunter F6 I built many years ago, long before Academy were even heard of with their Hunter kits. It needed a lot of work to get it to even look like a Hunter, and I remember the fuselage plastic being about 1/8th of an inch thick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back