1/72 Academy P-51B 'Scarlet Kate'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Migrant

Senior Airman
Aug 7, 2008
Calgary AB
Nice little kit from Academy. Added a True Details cockpit, though you can't see it :| My own decals.

P51B_SK_01.jpg

P51B_SK_02.jpg

P51B_SK_03.jpg

Thanks for your comments, glad you like it :thumbup:

Looks great! :thumbright: How did you do the panel lines?

Cheers T Bolt; I used dark grey watercolour flowed into the panel lines, so it stands out against the lighter tones and the black of the invasion stripes.

Great work!

I wonder how that canopy scales out in the kit. It looks a bit big to me but that's just me.

I thought it looked a bit big at first too. But I think it's actually the rear windows, they seem a bit small, both in depth and length, which is making the 'Malcolm' hood look bigger.

that kit doesn't look right now does it? Any build pics? I'm crying foul. Looks photoshopped. Sorry buddy. I love being proved wrong. Honestly I don't take offense.

It's a beautiful kit, as was the P-40 I did, with decent detailing and very nice panel lines. Its just that the canopy is made a little big. On the P-40 I think it had to do with the thickness of the transparency. They made it large enough to be placed in the open position over the fuselage spine and because of the thickness of the transparency the outside of the canopy ended up sitting much too high, even if it was mounted closed. I wish I could post a picture but the model recently was knocked off the shelf and was stepped on by my wife. She disposed of the evidence but neglected to pick up the shattered prop which I later found. Don't worry, were still married.:lol:

that kit doesn't look right now does it? Any build pics? I'm crying foul. Looks photoshopped. Sorry buddy. I love being proved wrong. Honestly I don't take offense.

I 'm not taking offense, because I'm not sure what you're talking about ;) What doesn't look right? If the canopy doesn't look right, it's because Academy moulded it that way, I haven't modified it in any way.

I 'm not taking offense, because I'm not sure what you're talking about ;) What doesn't look right? If the canopy doesn't look right, it's because Academy moulded it that way, I haven't modified it in any way.

The problem is totally with Academy!! Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. The job you did on the model is wonderful, it just looks like Academy molded the canopy too big, probably so it could also be displayed open. I didn't mean to have you think it had anything to do with your work, I was just talking about the inaccuracy if the kits canopy its self. Sorry.:oops:

The problem is totally with Academy!! Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. The job you did on the model is wonderful, it just looks like Academy molded the canopy too big, probably so it could also be displayed open. I didn't mean to have you think it had anything to do with your work, I was just talking about the inaccuracy if the kits canopy its self. Sorry.:oops:

No worries Glenn, my response was actually to Matt 308's posting rather than yours. Just to clarify- the Academy canopy/windows are incorrect, it's a well-documented shortcoming of their kit (interestingly, the HobbyBoss P-51B canopy is an almost exact fit for the Academy kit and vice versa...). I've done nothing to alter the canopy – it would have been nice to pose it open as lesofprimus suggested but the malcolm hood is just too thick, and I didn't have a vac replacement. And the only Photoshopping to my pics is the levels have been adjusted to ensure the background was pure white; that's it.

Anyway, I appreciate the positive comments, thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back