C-47 Invasion Stripes (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
Heres a few shots of my C-47 that I just completed. I asked about two months ago if anyone had decals for the M 5.I ended up using scale-master stripes and cut each angle until finished.I've been working on those two markings since.The kit is an old Airfix Dakota.I think it took about a pound of putty ! I'm getting ready to do a Waco to put behind it.
Ed

Attachments

• DSCF1450.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF1451.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF1452.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF1453.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF1454.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 163
Looks very good indeed, especially for the old 1950's kit! Just one thing though, if you don't mind me pointing it out. It looks like you've fitted the tail cone, which I remember was included in the original Airfix kit, in order to make the civilian DC3 version. The C47/Dakota should have the 'blunt' tail, especially if glider towing, as this is where the tow-hitch was fitted. Maybe you vcan carefully remove it?
Looking forward to seeing it with the Waco glider!

Without the tailcone it was just a big hole. I'm looking for a photo that shows the glider attachment better. I think it will be easier to file it off then.
Ed

Ah, I see! The original kit was moulded with the cut-out, and a separate 'civilian' tail cone. I don't think I've got any pics of the tow-hook attachment, but I'll have a look. It was basically a hook-like hitch, with a locking arm that opened to take the ring of the tow rope. The main part of the assembly was inside the tail, out of sight. In 1/72nd scale, a simple loop would look good enough, after blanking-off the tail.

'tis very very nice...

I've only just got back into modelling, so I'm no eggbert... But I think some panel liing and a little weathering will really bring it to life!

Very very nice build though, I'd be happy with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back