Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-61 Hien "Tony"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

Started working on this kit while I was waiting for canopy masks to arrive for my GB 110, and ended up finishing it! :oops: Great kit, and only meant to be a fun model, so I didn't worry too much about seams etc. Something different at any rate! It's from the 39th Training Squadron, flown by Sgt. Maj. Iwao Tabata, Yokoshiba, March 45. This is also the first time I've tried this paint chipping method. I sprayed it aluminum, then applied Micro Mask "jelly" in various spots, painted over it and peeled it away! Pretty happy with the results, though I think I did too much on the black anti-glare panel.

DSC_0681.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

DSC_0687.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Harrison, it's a small plane, but the Zero's smaller. Here's a crappy iPhone pic showing some comparisons. It's got a wide wingspan on it.

b3f7aea5.jpg

Bruce, basically what I did is used this (I believe there's also one called Maskol):

bf51ddab.jpg

I found the method here, but I used a brush instead of a sponge. Basically what you do is you brush on the masking solution on top of the aluminum paint (they recommend enamel, which I used for the aluminum, but I used Tamiya acrylics for the camo), then spray your top colour(s) on top of that. Once the paint's dry, you peel/scrape off the masking solution which dries to a rubbery consistency, revealing the aluminum underneath. It can be hard to find where you've masked, but for the most part you can just barely see it. And if you don't see it, chances are nobody else will either! I'll definitely use this method on my Ki-84 for the Aces GB, but tone it down on the black area, and maybe try it with a sponge to get a slightly more random spread. I suppose it all depends on how worn you want it to look.

Ki-61 Hien by Roland Saschenhofer (Hasegawa 1/32)

EDIT: Was writing when you posted, thanks David!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back