ICM 1/48 P-51D (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Hi guys here's my recent build.
The fit in several areas was unfortunately poor, considering it is a Tamiya copy.
Anyway I circumvented these problems and I even fabricated my own wheel bay modification, I then used a set of Eagle strike decals which I must say were a tad dissapointing.
Firstly the nose checks didn't match up, in that when the two halves were aligned along the top of the nose I found that they overlapped underneath.
Also they were very reluctant to give in to Microsol/set but I perservered.

big dick1.jpg
big dick2.jpg
big dick4.jpg
big dick3.jpg

Nice one. I find the fit of parts with ICM kits is OK, but the lack of locating pins can cause a mis-match, therefore it's a good idea to use short strips of plastic cemented along join lines to help align things. I notice the 'D' has a similar dihedral problem as their Spit kits (a bit 'flat'), which wasn't evident on the 'B'.

Thanks chaps, I did have awful trouble with the wings. The wheel bay fouled the upper wing on one side and when I fitted the wing assembly and ensured no gap at the root I found the dihedral on one wing was almost at 45 degrees and the other wing almost flat!!!!!!
Thanks copcheck, the camera is an old(ish) but rather good Fujifilm Finepix A900 9 megapixel point and shoot digital camera on just plain old automatic mode.

Last edited:
It seems the ICM P-51D isn't the Tamiya copy contrary to P-51B/C. So no wonder the fitting of the model can be a problem. Although ICM kits have been the cheap alternative for modellers, these need more work on to achieve a nice final effect indeed.

She is looking very nice though.

I actually don't think the P51B/C is a copy either, although the basic component moulds might owe something to Tamiya, with the two companies working together. The ICM kit is actually more detailed, and I think better overall than the Tamiya P51B/C.

That could explain things then, as there are certainly more detailed, and alternative parts, with the ICM kit, although, strangely, the framed canopy does not have the option of being displayed open, as in the Tamiya version.

This P-51d kit is definately a Tamiya copy in every way except for a few sink marks,flash and terrible clear parts. Luckily I had a spare Tamiya canopy that was miles clearer and spare gear doors, as the ICM ones had slight sink marks all over them.
The kit is good for the price overall but I would recommend a vacform/replacement canopy and gear door replacement, other than that it was okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back