Greatest Paper Airplanes Ever (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Barnes Noble has the book on order for me. Only $7.95 USD. They normally have the book in stock, but it's out right now. I should have
it in about four days. Think I'm going to enjoy this !

Charles

Halinski kits are (for me) the Top Gun's of paper models (3D). I haven't built any YET (I have 3 at home ready for the scissors).

Velius, I'm replying your PM.

I like the idea of making some gliders to toss them off and see them looping in the air... I guess that would be fun.

I finally got the time to make another one :) - this time a flying model!

This is what they look like when they are meant to be flown. This model, made in about an hour and a half, has no colors or designs in case it gets wrecked sooner than anticipated (one such airplane was doomed to land in the dog's water bowl after about 5 throws. When it dried up, the plane was warped to hell!:mad: ) The top pic shows just a plain uncolored A6M zero.

The bottom pic shows the zero at a different angle so that the "flap-erons" in the wings are visible. The book doesn't tell you to add these, but I think they're helpful in controlling the flight path of the model.

When the airplane wants to turn left, lower the left flap-eron to increase lift on that wing and vice-versa with the right wing. When both flapperons are trimmed correctly, a straight flight path is the result! Both flap-erons do not necessarily need to be bent the same angle to achieve a straight flight. A small note here: I call them "flap-erons" because they act more like flaps than ailerons and move down only. If used as ailerons, with one aileron up and the other down, the resulting twisting moment around the longitudinal axis will send the plane into a roll and (surprise!) dive into the ground.

Through trial and error, it's best if the elevator is left uncut. Simply bend the elevator up or down to change the rate of climb or dive. When both the flap-erons and elevator are trimmed correctly, flights of 30+ feet are possible-EASILY! (assuming there is not too much wind)

As for the rudder, I haven't experimented with it much. I've been getting good flights without any adjustments to it so I leave it uncut/unmodified as well. Still, it's not too late to try anything new! :)

These are my guideline for basic straight and level flight. Experimentation and creativity with the model can reward you with other unique flights. I've been able to make them fly in a loop to come back to me every time!

One more thing to note about the flying models is the extra reinforcement. You can't see it well in the pics, but the nose and wing leading edges have masking tape wrapped around it to prevent delamination of the paper layers if it hits something. Reinforcement is used only on the nose and wings since these points are more likely to delaminate/deform in a crash. If the model has a pointed nose, reinforcement with tape is much harder if not impractical, so it's dipped in glue instead.

Well, that wraps up everything about the flying models! I hope this is helps to whoever else builds these! I heard you were getting the book Ccheese- good luck!

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post 8)

Attachments

• Plain zero.jpg
    Plain zero.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 128
  • pain zero (rear).jpg
    pain zero (rear).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 116
Velius: Edna Mae bought me the book "Great Paper Fighter Planes" by Norman Schmidt, and a pack of the 8" X 5" cards. Now all I have to do
is find the time to do one. I like the two wingers !!!

Charles

Velius: Edna Mae bought me the book "Great Paper Fighter Planes" by Norman Schmidt, and a pack of the 8" X 5" cards. Now all I have to do
is find the time to do one. I like the two wingers !!!

Charles

I've made just one uncolored bi-plane before. They look neat and they float nicely through the air (I won't say this for certain since I've only made one but I don't think they can fly as far as the monoplanes). They are tough little things to make! Good luck and post 'em up here when you finish one :p

Also when I get the chance I want to experiment making designs that are not in the book; the P-47, FW 190, F6F, and maybe something a little interesting like the P-38 or the Ho 229!

Finally was able to make another one- This time a spitfire :D ! One thing different about this one is it was made from index cards that are already colored green; so half of the camo job was done!

There is another airplane in the works right now- the Me-262!!! I'll post it up when I finish it (and I'll make it when I have the extra time away from school :confused:)

Well, here's the Spitty. Sorry if the pics didn't turn out too well. I got a new digital camera for my B-Day and I'm still figuring out how to use it.

Attachments

• Plane 1.JPG
    Plane 1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Plane2.JPG
    Plane2.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Plane 3.JPG
    Plane 3.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 107
Thanks!

I haven't flown the ones pictured. These are for display only! The ones I fly are ones I don't color-so they are plain white. I also cut "flap-erons" in the wings to control their directional flight path. When I get the chance I want to see if I can make one with accurate markings and camo. I might start with the P-51.

8)
Velius, Keep them coming! Great Job!

I'm sure I can Wayne. I should've looked at the image size before posting these (rather than assuming they were small like my old camera). I wonder if I can get rid of the pics on here and replace them with scaled-down images of the same pic. In other words- if a pic is posted here, is it there for good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back