Greatest Paper Airplanes Ever (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool Velius.I like it.:D
But if I can .... suggest something, you should think about correct colours for them , just for future.

I've tried experimenting few times doing authentic stuff. I've looked at the WINGS PALETTE link you gave me as well as a book I have with aircraft markings.

As far as authentic goes, I can only get so detailed. To color my airplanes I use a 24 pack of Sharpies. They seem to work the best for me but like I said, I can only come so close to "authentic".

I've tried other things- watercolor-markers (the worst to use- they smear and the warp the airplane) and color pencils (they work fine but it's tough on the hands).

I'm all ears for any suggestions ya'll might have. But for now I can only make representations/ideas of the aircraft rather than true-to-detail 2D replicas.

So Ok..... I think you can use acrylic paints for the purpose.But you have to make whole model waterproof with gloss or matt ( it doesn't matter) cote, one or two layers of it should be enough.Then you can paint these camo spots with the acrylic ones.What is more, you can draw their shape with a pencil on a model before you start putting the varnish cote.If you need you can draw panel lines as well.But I think these should be make when the camo scheme is done and dried.For that you can use a black paint and some masks of adhesive tape.For painting you can use a soft brush or an airbrush if you can afford this.

Hmmmmm, that's some good advice Wurger. I got some acrylic paints lying around I can experiment with. What do you think about using enamel paints for plastic models?

These oil enamels have been used by me for ages.Humbrol mostly.Some people like these acrylic paints for some reasons.These almost don't stink contrary to enamels.As a thinner it is possible to use water or alcohol that are less harmful for our health , getting dry faster, etc... But these have a nasty feature, like peeling off with a masking tape if a surface hadn't been primered before painting or bad washed up.Enamels are better at that.To be honest one of tricks is to use an oil enamel as a primer and then painting acrylic ones.What is more, longer time of drying for enamels is good for these modellers who use a brush instead of an airbrush which can be expensive for them to buy.So I can say there is no reason to give these enamels up.

Hello all,

A while back I bought a book that told me how to make fantasic paper airplanes of warbirds from WWI to the present. When painted, these airplanes can look like convincing models of the originals. Better yet, these planes are not entirely decorational- they are also built as gliders. When trimmed properly they will fly for quite some distance!
Anyway, for those who are interested, the book is Great Paper Fighter Planes by Norman Schmidt. The photos are webcam shots of planes I've done (all WWII aircraft because they facinate me more 8) ). When I made them, I didn't concentrate to any specific insignias or authentic camo patterns. The color schemes are my own (that I am aware of :lol: ).

Thanks 8)
Velius, Thanks!My wife ordered a copy of the book just now on the phone from our local book store!

Here's a link to the book mentioned in the first post if anyone's interested.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good news everyone-

I managed to acquire another book from the same author (Norman Schmidt). Great Paper Jets is similar to great paper fighters but with all jet aircraft from WWII to today- including the Me-262. Gloster Meteor, P-80 Shooting Star, Mig-9, F-86, De Havilland Comet, 747, Concorde, Airbus 310, Avro Arrow, F-16, Mig-29, F-117, F-22, Learjet, and CMC Leopard!

The only drawback is that none of the aircraft are designed with landing gear.

Anyway, a great accompaniment to paper fighter jets!

Will post them as I make them 8)

my newest plane I've been working on for the new year. Different in some ways from the ones I've made before.

-It was made from colored paper I got from a hobby store; dark green (the closest I could find to olive-drab) for the top and a light tan-ish color for the bottom.

-Except for the fuselage and wing panel lines, nothing is painted on the airplane. The "windows", early U.S. insignias, shark mouth, and the numbers and letters were all cut from a separate pieces of paper, colored, and glued on.

-I used a die-cast model as a basis (though not 100%) for the design

Just open the pics in MSPaint, buddy. Click on IMAGE. Click on STRETCH/SKEW. Choose Stretch the horizontal and vertical 50%. That should do it.

hope this works

Attachments

• 2008_1012Planes0012.JPG
    2008_1012Planes0012.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2008_1012Planes0005.JPG
    2008_1012Planes0005.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 58
  • 2008_1012Planes0004.JPG
    2008_1012Planes0004.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2008_1012Planes0013.JPG
    2008_1012Planes0013.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2008_1012Planes0001.JPG
    2008_1012Planes0001.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 60
Hey there we go! I did it another way but I'll keep yours in mind (I tried to re-size with "paint" but it didn't work for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back