Greatest Paper Airplanes Ever (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Velius

Airman 1st Class
Sep 4, 2007
Central Texas
Hello all,

A while back I bought a book that told me how to make fantasic paper airplanes of warbirds from WWI to the present. When painted, these airplanes can look like convincing models of the originals. Better yet, these planes are not entirely decorational- they are also built as gliders. When trimmed properly they will fly for quite some distance!
Anyway, for those who are interested, the book is Great Paper Fighter Planes by Norman Schmidt. The photos are webcam shots of planes I've done (all WWII aircraft because they facinate me more 8) ). When I made them, I didn't concentrate to any specific insignias or authentic camo patterns. The color schemes are my own (that I am aware of :lol: ).

Thanks 8)

Attachments

• Paper 109.jpg
    Paper 109.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 579
  • paper 109 (2).jpg
    paper 109 (2).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 742
  • paper F4U.jpg
    paper F4U.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 912
  • paper F4U (2).jpg
    paper F4U (2).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 992
  • paper F-4.jpg
    paper F-4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 734
  • Paper zero.jpg
    Paper zero.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 768
  • paper P-51.jpg
    paper P-51.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 752
  • Paper P-40.jpg
    Paper P-40.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 783
Thanks!

I haven't flown the ones pictured. These are for display only! The ones I fly are ones I don't color-so they are plain white. I also cut "flap-erons" in the wings to control their directional flight path. When I get the chance I want to see if I can make one with accurate markings and camo. I might start with the P-51.

8)

Thanks Adolf. These are made from 8X5 index cards glued together. The nose section can have as much as 17 laminated peices (they serve as a nose weight when used as a glider).

Thanks everyone!

By the way, I'm starting to make a P-51D that I will attempt to give accurate markings and camo. If anyone can help me out with links to some good profile and top veiws I'll appreciate it!

Thanks again 8)

Thanks for the Wings Palette website Wurger :p ! It'll really help when I want to design more models with accuracy. When I'm finished with my new P-51 I'll post it on here. Another model I still need to make is a spitfire.

The book also tells me how to make WWI biplanes. These are MUCH harder to do, but when done right they look great! I'll post them on here as I make them.

8)

very interesting! I like the zero and corsair best :D

Both had their own quirks to make.

The zero is an easy one because there are no abrupt changes in it's outline (such changes are difficult to cut with scissors). The P-40 and the Il-2 (which I've only made one of so far) is VERY notorious for this. Also with the zero, half your paint job is done!

The corsair is one of my favorite WWII aircraft, the paper model has a few tricky parts- the biggest one is the gull wings. The wings of all these models are made from two sheets of index cards glued together. With a straight winged aircraft this is no problem. The gull wings of the corsair however make it difficult to glue together without seriously warping or getting the gull-shape of the wings incorrect. It would be a stroke of luck if I manage to make the wings symmetrical in all ways!

8)

Really nice models.Have you ever taken 3-D paper model making into consideration? I mean models like the PaperJerry's models for instance.

-Wurger

"Really nice models.Have you ever taken 3-D paper model making into consideration? I mean models like the PaperJerry's models for instance."

When I saw his page, PaperJerry's 3-D models were the first of their kind I've ever seen-and they impress me very much. Their detail and shape had me fooled for platsic models at first! I haven't thought of doing anything 3-D yet-these 2-D gliders keep me occupied for now.

A new P-51D with a paint scheme based off a plane in Wings Palette.com

Attachments

• Paper P-51D.jpg
    Paper P-51D.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 144
  • P-51D (2).jpg
    P-51D (2).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 143
  • P-51D (3).jpg
    P-51D (3).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 161
Hi,
Looking very nice.Could you tell me if these are flyable?

It isn't hard to make the 3-d ones.In the Internet you can find some of these and if you have a good printer you can print them yourself.

Hi,
Looking very nice.Could you tell me if these are flyable?

It isn't hard to make the 3-d ones.In the Internet you can find some of these and if you have a good printer you can print them yourself.

All of the ones posted here will fly, but I've only tossed each one maybe two or three times before putting them up- I don't want to wreck these fancy ones :oops: ! Like I said earlier, the ones I do fly don't have any paint job and also have control surfaces cut into the wings to aid in their flight characteristics. The longest straight flight I've ever got from one of them was about 40 feet in a 109 model! With an adjustment to the control surfaces and the right toss, I can make these do loops and come back to me every time (boomerang style!). I can honestly say that I would fly these paper ones over those 99 cent balsa gliders anytime!

As for the 3-D airplanes; do you know any good sites where you can get such print-outs? I'd love to try making a 3-d model sometime (and attempt to make it flyable :lol: )

Thanks 8)

I think PaperJerry can know about it much more.But these I've found on this site,for instance :

Modele kartonowe

Attachments

• paper model.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 95
  • i-16-png.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • albatros-1-100.zip
    122.6 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back