Revell 1/72 Hawker Tempest MK V (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Wasn't too crazy about the quality of this kit, but then again I only paid $4 or $5 for it on the way out of the store. The canopy has large gaps underneath and does not fit very well.

I haven't done any weathering.

Attachments

• Hawker Tempest MK V 2.jpg
    Hawker Tempest MK V 2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Hawker Tempest MK V 002.JPG
    Hawker Tempest MK V 002.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 358
Looks pretty good! The camo came out nice!

I did the same with the Monogram kits: Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair. Came out ok but your tempest looks much better!

Not bad at all. It's a very old kit, if it's still the same moulds, so no surprise about any fit problems. I remember building this one back in 1966 or thereabouts!

Nice job with an old kit. I used to cut the canopy and display them open on the old revell kits so they would sit down better.
Ed

Thanks Ed.

I thought about cutting the canopy, as you described but was not sure if I could pull it off without ruining it.

This is my first kit with using nearly all MM acrylic paint. After spraying the grey undercoat I decided to give a shot at freehand brushing the green and was surprised at how well it went down compared to an enamel.

I was confused on a couple points:

1. Should I have painted prop tips yellow, some pics I found had them while some did not.
2. The shade of gray that I used seemed a bit dark, but then again some pics I saw had it that dark.
3. Yellow on front edge of the wings, again, some pics had it while some did not.

I think I'm going to look for a Spitfire now that I built this one. Any recommendations for a 1/72 kit?

Thanks,

Jon

The grey looks OK, rather like the colour known as 'Mixed Grey', which was slightly lighter than Ocean Grey, and used for a short period, although not normally on Tempests. It might be that the green looks rather ...er... green, compared to RAF Dark Green. This could be making the grey look darker.
There were four inch yellow tips on the props of all RAF aircraft. Any photo where it appears the tips are not yellow, will either be due to exposure of the film, lighting angle, or maybe wear and tear.
The yellow wing leading edge I.D. stripes were present from 1941 on all single-engined RAF day fighters, although by around march 1945, certainly in 2 TAF, these were often removed. However, for the period of your model, they would be in place.
Sorry, I don't normally model in 1/72nd scale, so can't advise on which are the better Spitfire kits.

As far as the Spitfire of 1/72 scale kit is concerned..I can recommend the Revell kit for Mk.Vb one no.04109. Using the kit you can make Mk.Vb or Mk.Vb LF variants. ALso you can buy the Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb or Spitfire Mk.I or Spitfire Mk.IX. These of Airfix are new tool kits as momo serves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back