1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 "Red 8" - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank-you guys. I've been plugging away at this model since the last update. Obviously, the decals were the next stage and I'm not at all impressed with the Dragon offerings.

Let's start with an overall view of the general decals as they went on. The 305 on the nose, red 8, and wing crosses are from the kit as I had no spares of these. The black fuselage crosses are spare Eduard ones.

15112402.jpg

The white outline on the red 8 is too thick and is off register.

15112403.jpg

I touched the 8's up very carefully with a fine brush using the background mottle colours and, after applying a dull coat, here's how they turned out:

15112804.jpg
15112805.jpg

As there were no swastikas in the kit, I once again had to raid the spares, of which I have many. The problem was, I didn't have any of the late night fighter hatched types so I needed to do some fine scalpel work.

I started with these spare Eduard swastikas which came in two pieces.

15112401.jpg

After carefully cutting out thin black sections in the right places, I placed the decals and applied them. Here's how it turned out with flat coat applied.

15112803.jpg

The model has now had all decals applied and is flat coated. Most of the stencils and the wing walk lines are from the spares box. As you can see, I also got the landing gear on and validated my fishing weight estimate. I'm not 100% happy with the flat coat as it got a bit dusty so I may redo it

15112801.jpg
15112802.jpg

The drop tanks got the harispray over aluminum chipping technique:

15112806.jpg

The vinyl tires are often criticized but I went ahead and used them. After priming them. I painted them with Tamiya acrylics and they don't look too bad. No way that I'll be able to do my usual flattening treatment though. In these pics, the actuators and remaining gear doors have not yet been installed.

15112807.jpg
15112809.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the underside so far. All decals here are from the kit.

15112808.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for checking in.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

With the painting pretty much done, it's time to finish off the pit details. The radio and radar kit, finished earlier, is now installed with a scratch built mount and connecting wires.

15112901.jpg
15112902.jpg

The cockpit sill was masked and the line repaired from the earlier rough edge revealed during the first mask removal. I'm going to need to do this again as the grey is too light for the 66 intended.

Thanks guys. My next challenge will be the seats. Dragon has gone and molded cushions in the buckets - ba$tards!!!! I'm tossing around ideas in my brain on how to fix that now.

The pic below summarizes what I'm trying to do. To the left can be seen one of the two kit supplied seats with the cushion molded in. The cushion should not be there as the space in the buckets would have been taken up by the crew's parachutes. To the right can be seen the underside of the other seat and the happy coincidence that DML molded in the pyramid shape of the bucket. This gave me the idea to use the seat underside to create a new bucket using epoxy putty. I made some using Milliput but they ended up sticking to my cutting surface and broke when I removed them. I then decided to use the Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty which dries a lot faster and that's what you see in the center. To make sure that the seat did not stick to the putty, I coated the surface with dish soap first.

15120201.jpg

The next step will be to cut out the cushioned seat sections and replace them with the puttied parts. More on that on a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back