1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Revell
Model Type: De Havilland Mosquito B Mk IV
Aftermarket addons: Gotta do something about Revell's goofy spinners, tires, and too short landing gear. Otherwise, not much else planned.

The subject of this build will likely be the Pathfinder B Mk IV "Grim Reaper" of 109 Squadron.

0 HS_F.jpg

The reason I say "likely" is because I was chatting with one of our vets, Bob O'Connor, who helps out with our Mosquito RS700 restoration, and he mentioned to me that he flew 6 missions as a navigator in a Mossie, commencing operations in January 1945 when, as he says, "there wasn't much left in Germany to hit". Over coffee, I'm pretty sure Bob told me he was with 410 Squadron. Now, Bob's been signing a bunch of prints to sell and raise cash for our restoration. Here's a pic of Bob doing exactly that:

IMG_5056.JPG

Here's a picture of the print Bob's been signing:

0 AZ_F.jpg

Now, I'd love to do a model of the aircraft Bob was flying and I need to ask him again if there was a chance he was flying the particular aircraft whose profile he's been signing. I suspect the answer is "no" as DZ518 was with 627 Squadron. It's possible that I'm mixing up my stories as there was another vet, Pat Anderson, who I was chatting with a while back and I seem to recall either Pat or Bob saying that he flew in DZ518. Pat was a Mosquito pilot and he just recently passed away. At any rate, by the time Bob started operations, it's likely that his squadron had upgraded to later marks anyway. Hence my likelihood of sticking with "Grim Reaper". The Revell kit provides decals for both aircraft.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had jumped the gun a bit and finished off part of the cockpit of this model last summer. Here are current pics of the only work completed so far, the paint being done with some cockpit green left over in my airbrush cup whilst painting my Spitfire Mk VIII.

13050602.jpg

13050603.jpg

I hope you guys won't mind this small head start and that you'll allow me to continue in this GB. If anyone has a problem with that, just chime in and I'll bow out. In any event, it will be a while before I resume work as I want to finish my Ar 234 and wide tail Dora for the local model contest on June 1.

Last edited:
Nice Andy. Is that kit the old Monogram one from the 70's or a newer one. I made the monogram 20 years ago and remember it being pretty good except for the raised panel lines.

I'll answer for Andy - it's a new tooled Revell kit, far superior overall to the good, but partly inaccurate, Monogram kit from the late 60s.
Nice one Andy - and apologies. The spinners are sitting here staring at me saying "Post me off to Andy!" . I'll get them in the mail this week for you - and they're from the above mentioned Monogram kit, but accurate!

Thanks everyone and, yes, it's a "new" tooled kit, some years old now but pretty nice. As you can see by the above pics, nicely molded details prevail but the knocks against the kit are the bulbous spinners, oversized tires, and short landing gear legs. Terry's helping me by sending his spare Monogram spinners (thanks Terry and don't rush please) and, unless someone has some Tamiya tires and landing gear laying around, I'll be going for some after market ones - resin tires and some nice metal struts that I saw at Spruebrothers.

Andy another gem you ride?, Because if you just like the Arado ar-234........... so you see is a good mold

Thanks for the interest guys. It'll likely be at least a couple of weeks before I dive back into this one. Need to get those gear parts ordered.

Thanks guys. Bit of news in that I had another chat with Bob and he confirmed that he was indeed in 627 Squadron and had flown in DZ518 so I may just end up building this one. Kinda like the Grim Reaper nose art though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back