1/48 Ta152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Well, I've ignored all modelling efforts for 4 days, having devoted my weekend volunteering for the visiting B-17 Aluminum Overcast (will start a separate post on this soon). I managed to get re-immersed yesterday afternoon and lightly sanded down the built up Future coat around the offending seam to my satisfaction and then got on with the decals. I'll show the fixed seam later when the flat coat goes on but here's what went on with the decals.

First, the second spiral provided on the Eaglecals sheet proved to work out better though not perfectly. Here's a pic showing how it laid down:

16062801.jpg

Solvaset was used to lay this decal down and a few small wrinkles formed at the nose but I felt that this was reparable, Not also that I just could not get the spiral to curl into the cannon barrel. These small imperfections were tackled with a fine brush and some black and white paint a seen below. A thick coat of Future will follow to hide the brush marks.

16062809.jpg

The fuselage decals were next and here I found that I made the yellow and red bands slighlty wider than the provided green bar, something I should have checked beforehand. Fortunately the Eagle sheet has two sets of bars, so I snipped a short length of one of the bars away and tacked it onto the back end of the bar. The small piece is slightly narrower but barely noticeable.

16062802.jpg

16062804.jpg

16062805.jpg

For the "0007" WNr, I was able to use the zeros and 7 from the kit sheet which had all the numbers I needed in a couple of serials.

16062803.jpg
16062806.jpg

Once placed, I added the Germanic bar on the 7 using a black felt tipped pen

16062807.jpg

Here's the finished rear port side of the fuselage showing how it now looks. Stenciling has yet to be applied.

16062808.jpg

Thanks for looking in and for your supporting comments.

Thanks all. Doing the various stencils now. Walk lines on the wings went on without drama. Pics later.

Thanks Hugh. As promised, more pics follow. The sharp-eyed among you may notice a small black crescent in the pics and this is a spot of dirt on the lens, not a defect on the model.

The decals are essentially done with the exception of ones that need to go onto areas that I've not yet painted, like the trim tabs. The model looked like this at the start of the evening's work:

16063001.jpg

As I said earlier, the lines defining the walk limits on the wings went on well. The Eaglecals are reasonably thin and yet strong.

16063002.jpg

Here is some of the stenciling around the pit area.

16063003.jpg

Time to mask and paint a few areas that I should have done earlier. The panel that fits over the exhaust stubs was painted black on most Ta 152s so I carefully masked and painted both sides, being careful not to get tape onto the decals.

16063004.jpg
16063005.jpg

You can see in this pic the fine sanding I've done on the seam that was showing and this has since been recoated with Future and looks good now.

16063006.jpg

The trim tabs were then masked and painted red. There was a bit of conjecture involved in my decision making here. First off, I decided to leave the rudder trim tab in 76, my demented logic being that the WNr patches suggest a post-factory painting of the tail unit. Unfortunately, none of the pics of White 7 show the rudder tab so I can't confirm whether it as painted or not. I saw no reason that the elevator tabs would not be painted so I did those. The aileron tabs are another story. There is a 4-view drawing of an H-0 in Hitchcock's book showing the underside of the aileron tabs to be red but not the upper side. Some photos support the idea of red on the underside as the tabs look distinctly darker but I could find no evidence of the red uppers in photos, so I decided to go with what Hitchcock shows and only do the bottoms.

I masked the tabs and applied a coat of white, followed by red and then peeled off the masks.

16063007.jpg
16063008.jpg
16063009.jpg
16063010.jpg

The model has now been spritzed with a top coat of Future to seal the decals and to lay down a gloss coat for the trim tab stencils. I'll let the thing sit for a day before doing any more on it so I'll be back in a couple.

Thanks guys. After highlighting the panel lines slightly with a pastel wash and adding the last few decals on the trim tabs, I applied a flat clear coat (Tamiya XF-86). The sliding canopy is just loosely placed for the purpose of the below pics. The seam on the mose turned out satisfactory.
16070201.jpg
16070202.jpg
16070203.jpg
16070204.jpg

More weathering will be done on top and bottom before declaring this one finished. Given that 0007 would have seen several months of service, I'll add a decent amount of chipping in the wing roots.

16070205.jpg

Here's the prop which just needs a bit of wear added and the cannon barrel picked out.

16070206.jpg

One of the finished undercarriage legs showing the stencils applied. The brake hoses fell off this one and will be reapplied.

16070207.jpg

Thanks guys. Had to spend some time dealing with annoyances. When putting the tail wheel together, something struck m as not quite right but I shrugged it off and painted it. It was only when I tried to install it in the fuselage that I realized that Dragon represented the thing with the wheel swiveled 180 degrees as though the plane had been towed backwards and the wheel left in that position. As it looked pretty stupid, I needed to fix it. I first drilled a hole through the solid swivel and then cut it off, inserted a short length of brass tube, and then glued the thing in the correct position. I took advantage of the process to show the wheel slightly turned to add a bit of interest.

16070401.jpg
16070402.jpg
16070403.jpg

Annoyance #2 is the extremely stiff PE seat belts that looked quite bad. I left the seat out on purpose realizing that I had to do something about them before I buttoned up the canopy. I enhanced the kit supplied belts by adding some home made buckles of lead wire and additional straps of tape, then painting them to some semblance of reality. Not great but they will do.

16070404.jpg

With the seat now glued in place, I'll need to tackle the shoulder straps which attach to the bulkhead behind the seat and which look equally fake.

Annoyance #3 is the glue spot on the sliding canopy. This happened when the small amount of glue I used to attach the head armour to the clear part wicked into the narrow space between the armour frame and the glazing.

16070405.jpg

Some gentle polishing with fine paper and toothpaste followed by some brushed-on Future resulted in an acceptable fix. The armor assembly has now been added but the tiny hooks to hold down the pressurized hood have to be added. These are hard stainless steel PE parts that are about 2mm long and are supposed to be bent - yeah right...... The small white dots you see are decals to represent the gel antifog capsules.

16070406.jpg

An end view of the nice armour plate detail.

16070407.jpg

More fiddly bits yet to come. Thanks for continuing ot check out this build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back