1/72 DFS Kranich - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Terry!

On the model atleast (...) a 200 l drum fits PERFECTLY in the space (with mid decking in), no worries of movement in flight! Not sure of practicality of flght/ CG characteristics in such a scenario.

I had also thought of jerry cans at first too, but the comment found on one site of 500 lb (50 gal) drums being used put me on that trail. Googled German drums and only the 200 L jobs came up - did they have 110 L drums aswell?

Man.... I am fading....
I looked at this thread, last posting, and think I heven't even Seen this one......
Geeeez, I've made comments almost from the beginning. Soon I'll meet someone new when I look in the mirror!!!

Great little build Evan. I said it early on, lots of effort but it will pay of in the end in a fine finished product.

Not sure if the German Forces had a smaller drum as standard, but needs must and all that. But, if a 200 L drum would fit, and stay put without breaking through the floor or fuselage sides, and stay more or less in balance, then perhaps they did use them - more fuel in one delivery, as it were.

Thanks Bill and Terry, much appreciated guys!

Hmmm, not sure what to do about the drum and rear cockpit then. Wish there was some solid evidence either way. As it is, all I can go on is the pic I posted on page 1 of this thread, supposedly a gutted example, but with mid wing decking intact.

Found some great new interior pics btw, one of a restored Yugoslvian bird, another a B/W pic of a crashed Polish machine. Both have helped clear up a couple of detail questions, and proven once and for all that there was a HELL of alot of variation in Kranich interior layout!!!

Last edited:
Evan, as you've come this far, and the full-size drum now fits, I think I'd stick with that. After all, it looks convincing enough, seems plausible, and, as you say, there isn't any solid evidence either way.

Cheers Terry, have to think about this.
As you know I like to do things as correctly as possible, hence the idea of leaving out the drum and detailing a gutted rear cockpit in unloaded state (taking the 'most definite' road...)

Gonna have to start pushing in any case, deadline is looming and even more so, the old man will be here on the 30th already for 10 days! That leaves 2 weeks to get the Kranich and Mustang for my dad done...

Last edited:
Front cockpit structural spar, rear canopy rear internal frame, and 1:72 scale instrument panels, reduced from photos of real thing (thanks Wojtek and Terry for help there, and to Ivett for printing them!)

STA52604.JPG

STA52605.JPG

STA52607.JPG

Hey cheers guys, much appreciated!

Mike, I've been interested in the '35-'45 Luftwaffe aircraft since I was a kid, and one of my main modelling goals is to replicate atleast one of each type used or operationally tested, whether trainer, transport, recon, fighter or bomber. As a result I have a mental list of all types used, purchasing as and when possible (- some I will never own due to cost, Ju 388 for example )

Sad thing for training aircraft and gliders like the Kranich here is that they hardly ever get mentioned, concentration usually being on the fighters and bombers, however a good many German pilots spent their first flying hours in aircraft like this.
This is why I've mentioned a couple of times it would be nice to have a 'Training Aircraft' GB, whether WW II or 'any era'. Some beautiful and interesting aircraft out there that deserve a mention!

Anyhoo, progress:

Still 'in the rough', but starting to get there... Had done the rudder pedals too, but one decided to take a solo flight (...), have to scratch a new one.

Btw - the top of the structural frame at canopy break line (the modified PE part - solid part of canopies was moulded into the fuselage on this kit sadly) is deliberately cut out, as it was obscured when the canopy was closed. The canopy leading edge support frame will be added in front of this soon.

STA52680.JPG

STA52677.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back