1:72 Mitsubishi Ki-46-II 'Dinah' - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Dave! Actually they are starting to clean up ok now (thank God!)

Been flat out like a lizard drinking prepping for an art exhibition recently (and started working nights at work), so nothing finished yet. Should be able to get back into it now though, pics up ASAP.

Last edited:
Finally! Basic parts all cleaned up, even those props. Cockpit components, mainplanes and main undercarriage doors glued up.

The gear doors are 'reversible': they are fixed together with Tamiya tape along the centre line and glued at 4 points (to make them baby-proof for my child-to-be's cot mobile). Should I/they decide to add the u/c in the future, the doors can be removed with a scalpal and cleaned up at points of attachment, conveniently the same points of 'gear down' attachment :)

Likewise, the pitot tube and antenna mast will be attached with bluetack only for this OOB build, then removed for the mobile. These can be added permanently later.

Next step is to paint the interior.
Trying to suss out the correct colours, every pic I've seen so far contradicting the rest.
Judging by a comment read regarding a surviving wreck in Australia, they may have varied with time, certain batches having certain colours. Can anyone confirm/deny?

STA55801.JPG

STA55802.JPG

Last edited:
Not perfect... ??? you meant the manufacturer who offeres set of pieces moulded in the way we had seen earlier. Your sanding caused the nice final effect and is an example of how the part should look like.

Wonderful cleanup job on those horrid props Even. A few years ago Terry took a bunch of photos of a Dina in a museum for me. If you want then I don't think he would mind if I emailed them to you. PM me.

I am indeed Wayne! Temporarily on hold as most of my models, including the Corsairs and Kittyhawks for the dioramas, are still stored (with all my info, dammit) in Hungary, but as it looks like we'll be here in Ireland for a while they will be heading over ASAP.
In between, I'm continuing the research to make them as accurate as possible. (Please drop me a PM if that Corsair's going spare!)

Guys, thanks for the comments, much appreciated!
Many thanks for the offer too Glenn, but actually Terry has already kindly sent me the same pics, plus alot more he took recently at my request. (you may be interested in these yourself - lots of u/c details, etc!)

Cheers for looking in guys!

One year later, and she's almost done..!

Timing was always off between my rare visits here and batteries for the camera being charged, so attached pics are of varying stages of the build (if I can download them on this new weird site format!)

Current situ: two small decals to be applied to rear fuselage, then whole Matt or Semi-Matt coated, whichever is more appropriate.
Botched the paintwork on one of the starboard prop blades, so that will be stripped and redone. After that decals on both, and Semi-matt coated.

The Pitot tube and antenna won't be permanently attached at this stage, as she's for my son's mobile. I will attach them when he's older and there's no risk of him swallowing them!

(Just noticed too, I forgot to dust her off before taking the pics! Oh well...)

STA56332.JPG

STA56333.JPG

STA56334.JPG

STA56335.JPG

STA56336.JPG

STA56337.JPG

STA56339.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzieki my friend!

Not quite sure how far to (or if I should) weather her further, it's very subtle at the moment. I used the preshading technique for the first time here too, which is still apparent on the lower surfaces, but was lost under the top coats of green. Might bring the cowl gills and relevant staining/ oil leaks out a bit again with a dark wash. At what stage is it best to do that when airbrushing? Before or after final clear coat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back