Adult Debate

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Speaking only for myself, I lurked on the forum for a few years before I registered. While I am as interested in this subject as anyone here, I quickly found out that my knowledge on the subjects was frighteningly small compared to many of the others. So I read and learn and generally post little except when I think I truly have something to contribute.
That said, I quickly tire of the threads that devolve into hand-to-hand (mouth-to-mouth?) combat. It's unnecessary and counter-productive. You disagree and have a counterpoint? Great, post what you know and why. Let the reader decide on his own. One doesn't have to try to shove their opinion down someone else's gizzard. In fact, I think that a well articulated and sourced point that is polite and to the point is going to earn more respect than the juvenile barbs. Besides, as previously mentioned, it annoys the pig.
This is a great forum with much knowledge and the mods do a great job. Much respect to you guys.

The war ended more than 70 years ago. people are entitled to their opinions and it wont make a bit of difference to what happened back then.

The only real area I get annoyed is when people disrespect people who have died or suffered as a result to the war , still live with those losses but others think it okay to disrespect that loss. I'm guilty of that myself. Best not to say anything in those situations. .

At last. We have been able to bring another thread back to life. Thank you Leonidas. Thank God it isn't the Color For a Model thread this time.:)
What can I say, I am new here (compared to basically everyone else) and there are many MANY threads that I haven't read and so I check em out. And I'm not quite and adult yet so I just HAD to check out what this "Adult Debate" was all about ;)

One thing I work at, irl as well as online, is the ability to disagree without being disagreeable.

Being new here, I've got a hell of a lot of respect for the knowledge here, and so even if I do occasionally disagree, I bear in mind my own relative ignorance and focus on facts. Learning them and, on occasion, dispensing them. This makes avoid personal statements pretty easy. I think one guy has put me on ignore, but generally I strive to remember that I'm here to learn and make what modest contribution I may.

I've seen some knock-down drag-outs on some of the longer threads here, and they really bog down discussion.

One thing I work at, irl as well as online, is the ability to disagree without being disagreeable.

Being new here, I've got a hell of a lot of respect for the knowledge here, and so even if I do occasionally disagree, I bear in mind my own relative ignorance and focus on facts. Learning them and, on occasion, dispensing them. This makes avoid personal statements pretty easy. I think one guy has put me on ignore, but generally I strive to remember that I'm here to learn and make what modest contribution I may.

I've seen some knock-down drag-outs on some of the longer threads here, and they really bog down discussion.

Personal arguments are going to happen, and usually we all kiss and make up. Hell, I lose my cool from time to time too. Now that I am older and more mature I have tamed it a lot. When I first joined this forum back in 2004, I was hot headed too, though. This place was like the wild west. It was crazy. lol

It's just that there are a certain people that are just plain incapable of having civil conversations. These people just don't belong here.

Last edited:

Personal arguments are going to happen, and usually we all kiss and make up. Hell, I lose my call from time to time too. Now that I am older and more mature I have tamed it a lot. When I first joined this forum back in 2004, I was hot head too, though. This place was like the wild west. It was crazy. lol

It's just that there are a certain people that are just plain incapable of having civil conversations. These people just don't belong here.
The knock down drag out arguements end up thread locked. That kills the arguement as a rule. Some who chose to take their hostile temperaments to other threads have been banned. One thing I have always believed is that no forum is for easily offended weaklings. The moderators here do a fantastic and thankless job which I for one appreciate. We do get a lot of leeway here as long as we don't too vulgar, personal, or viscous toward each other.

What can I say, I am new here (compared to basically everyone else) and there are many MANY threads that I haven't read and so I check em out. And I'm not quite and adult yet so I just HAD to check out what this "Adult Debate" was all about ;)
I've been here since 2011 and I still haven't read all of the posts on the site. Another year and you'll be classified as an adult. Enjoy your youth while you have it. I was at the first Miss Universe Pageant. There was only one contestant and her name was Eve. You can easily guess that she won. Some of us here even rode Stegosauri to school. I miss racing my Velociraptor and eating Triceratops Burgers.:)

Last edited:
I've been here since 2011 and I still haven't read all of the posts on the site. Another year and you'll be classified as an adult. Enjoy your youth while you have it. I was at the first Miss Universe Pageant. There only one contestant and her name was Eve. You can easily guess that she won. Some of us here even rode Stegosauri to school. I miss racing my Velociraptor and eating Triceratops Burgers.:)

That means you are so young that you missed out on the big amoeba eating the small amoeba stage. That was no fun at all.

Mind you, as a forum member, I am just a young pup.

That means you are so young that you missed out on the big amoeba eating the small amoeba stage. That was no fun at all.

Mind you, as a forum member, I am just a young pup.
OK, the amoeba reference would have made me shoot coffee out of my nose this morning if I had been drinking it when I read your post. :lol::lol::thumbright:

I'm 71 and feel more like 1000,000,71. I have an 18 year old brain in an old body.
You're the reverse of my daughter, she's 18 but has the "Old Soul" inhabiting her brain, scary.

The war ended more than 70 years ago. people are entitled to their opinions and it wont make a bit of difference to what happened back then.

The only real area I get annoyed is when people disrespect people who have died or suffered as a result to the war , still live with those losses but others think it okay to disrespect that loss. I'm guilty of that myself. Best not to say anything in those situations. .
Ah my friend, we miss the wisdom of your tempered well thought posts, there's many a thread that would have benefited your insight, Godspeed old chap, has it really been two years since you flew west? :cry::salute:

At H.S. grad, I regretted having to stop building and flying models. My plan was to keep my hand in through the years and retire to build and fly models. Now, at 81, I still try to build and fly models, however this damn computer and this forum cut into the model time. Like most model builders, plastic or balsa, we won't live long enough to finish the stash. I still have a stash of plastics from the 1960s in case I can no longer get to the field. As far as this thread, I don't belong, as I have never become an adult. Ask my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back